Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectLove him, would like to see him as a Sixer next year but not sure
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=101918&mesg_id=102154
102154, Love him, would like to see him as a Sixer next year but not sure
Posted by Bombastic, Thu May-31-12 06:21 PM
it will work out that way in terms of where they're slotted at 15 (too early to grab him in the late first where he's slotted & won't be there in the mid-second) barring some trade movement.

Personally I think he would be worth the pick at 15 but you could probably trade & get him in the mid-20s.

But to me he's almost instantly better than say, Lavoy Allen (a nice surprise this year & an Owl to boot) will ever be.

Stuck playing with a crew of NoBonnies (sorry ma, y'all ain't had a player that mattered since you were cheerleading for Bob Lanier) so not many people saw him or those that did wrote him off for shit he wasn't really great at (like creating shot opportunities for bum teammates out of the post despite being a good passer) or other dumb things that didn't matter (like not coming out last year when he's a kid who wanted to finish his physics degree) but I see him as a solid/legit NBA starter at power forward.

Has an NBA body in terms of size/length/mobility, a legit post game as a collegian but a jumper in case he has trouble establishing that against pros in the early going, a great free-throw shooter for a big, highly intelligent, and he's a good shot blocker who will be able to work hard enough plus gain strength to guard NBA 4s down low but not sure how he'll fare in pick-n-roll.

I didn't pay attention to this kid for the early part of his career but between nagging from moms whose an alumnus to check him out along with some of the draft talk last year I've watched him in the last two years about as much as anyone would hope to see a kid from an upstate New York mid-major while living in Southern California.

This kid was easily the best player in the Atlantic-10 last season.

Singlehandedly ended St Joes at-large then later automatic-bid within about a week's span (gave em 32/14 the end of the regular season, then 25/10 right after) then turned right around to fuck up Xavier's chances of a decent seed by beating them in the final and won the A-10 for the first time in about 40 years.

Also was the reason they almost upset Florida State in the first round (hit & assisted on threes late to bring the game back to one-possession but their guard missed the shot at the end).

Dude will likely luck out & go to a good team based on draft projections, if San Antonio hadn't traded their pick I could have seen them grabbed the kid & had him contributing instantly by being what they wanted Dejuan Blair to be (or he could have given them a longer/taller Malik Rose with better offensive skill who could also step out for jumpers).

I'm on board with this one.