Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectHow ‘serious’ Porzingis avoids NBA trap that’s engulfed Okafor (swipe)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=104966&mesg_id=105394
105394, How ‘serious’ Porzingis avoids NBA trap that’s engulfed Okafor (swipe)
Posted by 40thStreetBlack, Thu Dec-03-15 03:09 PM
yes, this is a totally superfluous and inflammatory column. so it should fit in perfectly on here.

http://nypost.com/2015/12/03/kristaps-porzingis-dominating-jahlil-okafor-in-maturity-battle/

How ‘serious’ Porzingis avoids NBA trap that’s engulfed Okafor

By Kevin Kernan December 3, 2015 | 12:17am

Kristaps Porzingis is light years ahead of Jahlil Okafor already.

When you are an NBA rookie, you don’t want to be starring in TMZ videos weekly, and a second ugly video was released Wednesday by TMZ showing Okafor in yet another physical confrontation in Boston.

Okafor is giving new meaning to the man on the street and was promptly suspended by the 76ers for two games. The team wants to help him with some tough love.

He needs it.

Though both players were born in 1995, Porzingis is winning the maturity battle by far, and for that the Knicks can be thankful — as evidenced by Wednesday night’s 99-87 win over the sad Sixers at the Garden.

Porzingis registered his ninth double-double of the young season, scoring 17 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. The Knicks had lost four straight. The 1-19 Sixers proved to be the perfect solution to their woes.

Knicks coach Derek Fisher said he was not in a position to judge Okafor. But he did say this about Porzingis, and this is what it is really all about for any young player in any sport:

“He’s very, very, very serious about his job,’’ Fisher said.

Sounds so simple, but being serious about your job when you are a rookie means so much.

“My family always makes sure that I’m focused on basketball, and they are always protecting me from the outside things,’’ said Porzingis, who added four blocks and once again had the crowd chanting his name. “My older brother, Janis, was a really hard worker when he played, and he translated that to me. He wants me to take advantage of my potential.’’

Derek Jeter always was serious about his job, and it produced a Hall of Fame career. Being serious about your job should be a no-brainer, but too many players in all sports get sidetracked.

The Knicks can be thankful the Sixers picked No. 3 just before them or Okafor could be their mess to clean up. Porzingis became a Knick with the fourth pick, and it becomes an even more brilliant pick by the day by Phil Jackson.

It’s incredible in this day of camera phones everywhere that Okafor would put himself in this position, and Sixers coach Brett Brown honestly pointed out that this is a critical period in the young man’s life and career.

“I think the news that came out today and trying to judge it in its totality, the club felt like this was the thing that we could do, twofold: That we show him tough love,’’ Brown said. “That we understand that he is ours and we have to help him. And help him we will.’’

There also was the speeding incident with Okafor on the Ben Franklin Bridge, in which it was reported he was going 108 mph.

Brown had a conversation with Okafor about the Boston incident recently in Houston, but admitted, “The further details that came out surprised me. He told us sketchy , that he was in a situation that he regretted. As far as the play-by-play of what happened, he did not go into that.

“Today we learned more.’’

Brown met with Okafor in the rookie’s room at the team’s hotel on Wednesday.

“He’s ashamed, he’s embarrassed and this has caught him off guard,’’ Brown said. “He has made a mistake and no one is hiding from it, we own it.

“If it’s all coming out and it’s going to hit him hard and because of the repetitive instances that are now being revealed, I think it’s a good thing. Nobody is proud of this right now. We are all in this together. It’s a challenge. But I don’t look at this as a terrible thing that has just landed on all of us like a ton of bricks. It’s a good thing. It’s a wake-up.’’

Consider it a wake-up call of the first degree.

Focus on your job first.

Sure, Porzingis may hit some hard times going forward. But he will not derail himself.

Focus — as much as talent — is Kristaps Porzingis’ secret.