Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Sports Archives
Topic subjectHis vision, for one
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=21&topic_id=104966&mesg_id=105017
105017, His vision, for one
Posted by LA2Philly, Thu Oct-29-15 10:50 AM
His ability to read the game and see the floor is all-world. That's obvious to anyone who watches him, right from the jump, and it was obvious last night...three occasions where teammates did not realize a pass to them could even be made, but they will adjust as they realize you always have to be expecting a pass when he has the ball.

Secondly, his patience and understanding off the screen-roll is very, very good. He knows how to create space with his body with a man trailing on his hip and he understands when to stretch a trap and swing to create an open look or rotating.

Thirdly, and this will coincide very well with #2, he has a mid-range jumper that he can utilize to make a team pay for not trapping the PnR and eventually once bigs start getting on their toes against him, he will be able to utilize that to get to the rim.

Fourthly, his body control combined with his ball-handling allow him to get in and out of angles quickly.

What he needs to develop the most is understanding how to balance his desire to get everyone involved vs aggression. Secondly, he needs to develop a floater to finish in the lane over traffic. Thirdly, his jumper needs to be more consistent.

I agree with you Okafor, extremely skilled and I always thought the knock on his rebounding was over-blown as with the right coach, those matters of effort will be sorted out. I think he's in a great situation in Philly because of how much usage he will get in spots that are his strengths. Speaking of coaching and situation, I think D'Angelo's development is going to take longer because he's playing on a team with decent guards and a coach who plays him off the ball predominantly.