Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectTrack Listing: Old School gems and jams....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=22507&mesg_id=22623
22623, Track Listing: Old School gems and jams....
Posted by poetx, Mon Sep-01-03 04:30 AM

Rappin an Rockin The House - Funky Four Pluse One - kk rockwell, lil rodney cee, jazzy jeff, sha rock, keith keith, getting busy over an ill beat. i think this was their Enjoy release. i think this was groove from A Taste Of Honey. the studio band KILLED it. do the 'gigolo' to this. no chorus, but they go back and forth between 'solos' and routines. (79?)

That's The Joint - Funky Four Plus One - i think this is the first single by FF+1 on Sugarhill. their biggest hit, and classic record. notice how they play off of one another. i'm wondering now, if this is the first cut to have a chorus "ooooohhh, That's the JOINT!". the stutter snare right up before that is dope. ('80)

Do You Wanna Rock - Funky Four Plus One - (rocking over Frankie Beverly & Maze's "Before I Let Go" groove).also includes a little bob james. (?)

Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight - you know what this is.

Superrappin - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - their first joint, on Enjoy records, before they left and went to sugarhill. if you pay attention, you'll here that Mel's verse contains rhymes that would be later used on the "The Message", one of the most important rap records of all time.

Freedom - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five - i think this was their first joint on Sugarhill. kazoos an shit. party joint, for sure.

The Birthday Party - Flash an nem - another classic old school party jam. also has kazoos. really illustrates the call and response element. stuff to get people hyped and involved.

Christmas Rappin' - Kurtis Blow - funky bassline, smooth track complement Kurtis Blow's smooth voice and clear delivery. shit tha t cracks me up is "the grownups got some presents, too/ a new tv and stere-u". he was determined to rhyme that.

The Breaks - Kurtis Blow - one could argue that this preceded 'The Message' as a reality song. showcases kb's ability as a storyteller.

High Power Rap - Crash Crew - this is where the oft-used sample "an you say, New York City". this came out on Mike and Dave records. also, it used the same beat as Freedom, by Grandmaster Flash, which was a slight source of beef between the two crews when they were both on Sugarhill, but nothing major came from.

Live At The Ampitheatre - Double Trouble - off the wildstyle soundtrack. KK Rockwell and Lil' Rodney Cee (who'd split off from Funky Four Plus One). this is a dope example of the back and forth rhyme styles -- finishing each other's rhymes, routines, the 'Down By Law' track was dope.

Live At The Dixie - Cold Crush - wildstyle. same beat as Double Trouble rocked over, a little slowed down. they kill it, too. this is the joint where Grandmaster Caz dropped the famous 'yvette' rhyme (they changed the beat up for it).

"i was tearing shit up, about a quarter to three/
she said Caz, somebody's coming, i said, "Yeah, me!"/ "

Rockin It - Fearless Four - the beat was just incredible. you had to bounce to it.

It's Magic - Fearless Four - another dope party jam. DLB got one of them Cowboy-type voices (dude from Furious Five). i love this song.

On The Radio - Crash Crew - one of the dopest harmonizing cuts, featuring one of the legendary crews.

Breaking Bells - Crash Crew - i think this was the bob james mardi gras also. this was another one that would kill it at parties.

i've found all of the above on the net. thank god for compilation albums.

in general, if you search on the group names, you'll have better chances. or, if there was a famous album (wildstyle), that helps too.

peace & blessings,

x.

"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all." - Iron Mike