Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjecti was being hyperbolic, originally
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=22507&mesg_id=22617
22617, i was being hyperbolic, originally
Posted by poetx, Thu Aug-28-03 07:10 AM
(you see i retitled the piece). but its still the soundtrack of my life. 2/3, and counting, at least.

i have certainly been steeped in music. my earliest musical memories are of e, w & f, sittin in the basement of my parents house, playing the records and singing along to the words on the album jacket (love them for that), and playing the bongos.

pfunk certainly was a prominent influence, too. but i was a little dun. hiphop is most def the music what i most connect with. plus it channels and utilized all of that which preceded it.

for instance. i NEVER felt james brown by himself. the grownups would throw that on, i was out the room. i remember looking w/ distaste at them orange polygram labels.

but, once the dj's reduced brother james an the jb's to their essence, THEN i was feeling it. and now, i can listen to 'raw' james brown with deep appreciation.

(i guess gogo cats feel the same way -- and i never understood that about dc heads at first)

peace & blessings,

x.

"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all." - Iron Mike