Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjecthaha, what a nickle know bout a nickle on the needle?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=22507&mesg_id=22542
22542, haha, what a nickle know bout a nickle on the needle?
Posted by poetx, Mon Aug-25-03 03:21 AM
thinking paper or plastic (cutting up old record jacket liners to make your own slip mats).

>i told you before how i feel like an elder statesman in this
>whole realm, and i gotta agree with mikelove in that i
>refuse to let some youngster try and school me. i was doing
>this before most of these cats were born... my hip-hop
>snobbery is well earned, and justified.

i hate to be on some
>"these kids today" ish, but... well, "right thurr". nuff
>said.

man. really. i mean, really really.

that's not progress.
>
>i grew up with hip-hop, and it grew up with me. i really
>don't want to see it go back to "rappin' duke" and
>whatnot...

that's something i'm trying to capture in this piece, too. we had some unbelievably wack shit. the whole roxanne- period, when ninjas got ridiculi on the answer records (shante' and real roxanne was ok, but roxanne's father, roxanne's mother, roxanne's dog - no bullshit - it was ugly). that was prolly the worst phase of hip hop -- folks had pegged it for a gimmick and were milking it for all it was worth.

>
>but yeah, this post is taking me back to my dj daze, before
>there was speed control, and you had to blend with your
>finger and a radio shack mixer... *good times*.

there's a kool keith song on funk your head up, where he's reminiscing on the old days, "... and a two second break, that was hard to catch" and lining up the orange light on the old turntables.

people don't know about that. wasn't no track records. samplers. dat's. none of that shit. dj's could be going back to back for a long ass time on a little 2 second break that was the only good part of 8 minutes of bullshit from some disco record. and emcees just rocking over it.

grandmaster flash actually went to radio shack, bought the pieces parts, and INVENTED the cross fader. just hooked that shit up on his own cuz he thought he needed it. man.

>that being said: ^up^.
>
>
peace & blessings,

x.

"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all." - Iron Mike