Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI'M CHINESE NOW.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208352
208352, I'M CHINESE NOW.
Posted by Mongo, Mon Jun-15-15 04:01 PM
I'm not being glib.

If I speak and read standard Mandarin.

Eat, drink, inhale/exhale Fukienese culture.

Renounce any trappings of Western culture.

Take a Fukienese wife, raise our children as Fukienese.

Am I Fukienese?

Or am I still a fat balding Westerner who has adopted a culture as expression of privilege, because as a fat balding Westerner, there are no explicit limitations on what I am allowed?

I understand the argument -- that as social constructs, race and gender share malleability -- and as I stated before, there are certainly overlapping issues. But I can convincingly change my biology to be a woman. A fat, hirsute, water buffalo of a woman, but one with a working vajay-jay and functional female biology. I mean, I can't think of anyone who'd recommend it, because we already have Rebel Wilson, but the technology and societal structures exist to accommodate that kind of change, and it's a transition that is largely egalitarian:barring physiological complications any man can become a woman and vice versa.

'Transracial' is limited, because there are no mechanisms by which any race can genuinely change from one to another. There is 'passing', which is essentially going undercover, but that's not the same, and doesn't imply the same level of malleability as transgender. There are certainly episodes of crossover and adoption -- Black Seminoles, Jewish Cossacks -- but again, those aren't 'genuine' transracial episodes insofar as they have to be qualified with a prefix -- 'Black' Seminole, 'Jewish' Cossack -- because the core race in question is still distinct, separate, and impervious to conversion.