Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectThe ones I've known/know freely identify themselves.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208299
208299, The ones I've known/know freely identify themselves.
Posted by Starbaby Jones, Mon Jun-15-15 04:04 PM
Granted, my experience is from trans activists. So, that may be a factor. From my understanding, people at the forefront of those movements are careful with their language to ensure that they carve out their own place in the realm of gender expression.

I view people lying about their gender expression amidst transphobia the same way I do gay people lying about their sexual orientation amidst homophobia. People do what they have to do to survive. However, as society opens up and widens views of gender expression, I see more and more people proclaiming their identities. The trans part of the LGBT movement is decades behind the rest of the movement. People are still barely able to differentiate their place in the realm of sexual politics, hence all the clumsy language around trans people.

So, I don't view those examples you mentioned as contrary to my original point. As trans people become more vocal, I don't see them attempting to pass. I see them as fighting for their right to exist on the spectrum of gender expression.