Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectthis here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208254
208254, this here
Posted by MiracleRic, Mon Jun-15-15 05:14 AM
"Many people say as a white woman, Dolezal does not have to deal with daily injustices of what blacks in America have to deal with. Ok, but Bruce Jenner never had to deal with the daily injustices that a woman deals with in her lifetime, let alone the biological experience of pregnancy, menstrual cycles, and menopause. Yet, I don't hear these same voices now condemning Dolezal belittling Jenner's right to self-identify. So why the inconsistency?"

Self-identity aside...being a woman is tied to the female experience in certain ways while still being a real social construct completely separate just like race is historically tied to things,,,race is definitely a murkier and heavier construct so i get some of the pushback

the thing about identity is it's not just an individual thing...it's also a social thing...so i personally think it's odd or maybe just somewhat ill-advised to be but so American when it comes to identity...i'd rather the see the roles themselves be more flexible than people feeling so restricted by them that they need to reidentify themselves...in reality, society does choose too...there's gotta be a better way to balance individual needs with the whatever it is society is trying to do

i'm in that same camp that thinks you can identify as you want but whether or not people are going to genuinely respect or accept that is up to them which can be good, bad, and the ugly