Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjecti disagree that transrace & transgender are the same thing.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208248
208248, i disagree that transrace & transgender are the same thing.
Posted by SoWhat, Mon Jun-15-15 11:51 AM
and i'm not exactly able to articulate why.

i agree w/what Starbaby said below about transwo/men not attempting to pass as ciswo/men...at least as a general matter. most transwo/men carve out another identity as transwo/men. whereas it seems transrace folks are often attempting to pass as 'genuinely' *insert race here* (<-- i dunno if transrace identity has yet developed to the point where they have a better term than 'genuinely ___' as transgenderism has developed the term 'cisgender'). but i'm not sure if that works so well considering the # of transwo/men who _do_ pass or at least try it. so i dunno about that either.

but generally i don't see this as a 1:1 comparison and i'm bothered that many of loudest voices saying transrace = transgender seem to be attempting to 'discredit' the transgender movement. they remind me of the folks who decry the issuance of marriage licenses to same sex couples by talking about 'slippery slopes' and bringing up bestiality ('ppl will wanna marry their dogs next!') or polygamy ('ppl will wanna marry multiple spouses next!') or object sexuality ('ppl will wanna marry their car next!'), et al. that alone makes me cast a side-eye at this whole conversation.

plus as i said previously i don't understand transrace identity as well as i understand transgender identity - but that doesn't matter much b/c i don't have to understand either for them to be 'valid'.

so i'm not sure where i stand on this.