Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectStarted off promising but falls into the same trap.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208219
208219, Started off promising but falls into the same trap.
Posted by denny, Sat Jun-13-15 09:01 PM
"As a white woman, Dolezal retains her privilege; she can take out the box braids and strip off the self-tanner and navigate the world without the stigma tied to actually being black. Her connection to racial oppression is something she has complete control over, a costume she can put on -- and take off -- as she pleases."

As we've pointed out over and over again.....a feminist might say the exact same thing about Caitlyn Jenner. Caitlyn can always resort to dressing like a male....returning to the privileges inherent if she chooses to.

The article should've stuck to this line of reasoning:

"As Darnell L. Moore of Mic eloquently put it, "In attempting to pass as black, Dolezal falsely represented her identity. Trans people don't lie about their gender identities — they express their gender according to categories that reflect who they are."

Suppose Caitlyn had said "I remember those awkward years of being 16 years old when men started leering and objectifying my body. I struggled to learn how to navigate the world as a sexualized woman. No man could ever understand what this experience is like". We would ALL say she is full of shit. But Caitlyn says no such thing. She does not try to attach herself to the struggles and burdens of being woman that she avoided despite how she felt inside. Rachel, on the other hand, is doing EXACTLY that.