Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectThis is called a dinstinction without a difference.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208190
208190, This is called a dinstinction without a difference.
Posted by Buddy_Gilapagos, Mon Jun-15-15 12:55 PM
>Caitlyn Jenner is not attaching herself to the historical
>struggles of women and the experience of growing up in a
>sexist world. She's not attaching herself to being
>discouraged from male-dominated fields. At least to my
>knowledge.
>
>Rachel IS. She's attaching herself to the struggles of having
>African hair in a society that judges it.

So her hairstyle choice is what's making the difference? She can't rock braids because only black people are allowed to wear braids? Are black women attaching themselves to white people by straightening their hair?

Attaching herself to the experience of being a victim of hate crime.

Listen either it happened or it did not. If it didn't happen. Shame on her. That would be indefensible. However why are folks so dismissive they are certain it didn't happen? This story is so convoluting people's sense of right and wrong that now people are sounding like the sexist who don't believe a woman's claims of sexual harrasment except this time it's racial harrasment. I personally could see a white woman who was "acting black" in a white environment would certainly be a prime target for racial harrasment.

Attaching
>herself to the experience of growing up in a racist world.
>
>That difference is good enough for me to accept one and not
>the other. And I feel intellectually consistent in doing so.

"Everyone has a plan until you punch them in the face. Then they don't have a plan anymore." (c) Mike Tyson

"One of the most important things in life is what Judge Learned Hand described as 'that ever-gnawing inner doubt as to whether you're