Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectRE: Post racial doesn't mean racism is over
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=208012&mesg_id=208045
208045, RE: Post racial doesn't mean racism is over
Posted by GirlChild, Fri Jun-12-15 11:42 PM
>>The problem with this woman is that she took
>>generalizations of what it means to be a blk women and that
>>was stupid and short sighted. Her definition is so limiting.
>
>What was her definition?

um, really? look at her. look at how she chose to represent herself, braids, headwrap, going "natural."

>
>well first of all, what does "ethnically black" even mean?
>Black
>is not an ethnicity. Also, Rachel was considered to be
>racially black - because in America - we consider a wide range
>of hues/skin tones/features to be within the parameters of
>"black". Further, If we're saying that it's even possible to
>culturally identify with being 'black' then that's an
>admission that it's a concept amenable to fluidity.

Black IS an ethnicity, i don't know why you would think it wasn't. we have a shared experience that is unique to us. rachel was considered to be racially black because that's how she presented herself and that's what she told people she was. she darkened her skin, put in braids, headwraps, all physical dressings that are associated with (but not representative of all) blk women.you are confusing culture with ethnicity, they are two different things. my husband is culturally american (and blk american) but he is ethnically blk w/roots from the south. white folks are always trying to define what black is to black people.
>
>As for her "running back to her whiteness" - what experience
>do you have with being perceived as 'white', identifying w/
>something else - and then 'running back to whiteness'? How do
>you know what that's like such that you are qualified to speak
>on that? And you say that they "will not be treated as black
>in society." Well, wasn't Rachel Dolezal treated as "black"
>until this morning?
>
please don't act obtuse about this. you are seriously going to tell me that if she took off the black face she wouldn't be treated like a white woman? she was treated as blk BECAUSE SHE PRESENTED HERSELF THAT WAY. she's a pathological liar. she lied about her brother being her son. she made all kinds of crazy tweets making statements about being a blk woman and being discriminated against. that chick has mental health issues.

and yes, i AM qualified to speak on this as i know what it is to be a black woman. what seems to be ignored is that she is making a mockery of blk women.

>>It's easy to say that we are conventional to ideas of race
>>when you're in a position of privilege and you are the
>>majority. When we are given equal citizenship perhaps we can
>>talk about fluidity.
>"
>
>Yet, women still aren't treated as equal and are subjected to
>patriarchal hierarchy and conventionalism, but that doesn't
>stop us from exercising a fluidity analysis as it pertains to
>gender.
>
>
transgender and transracial can no way be compared, and is in fact and insult to transgender people. to use my husband's example, if i were raised deserted island, i'd 1.still be a woman and 2. wouldn't be blk. that categorization is only true when i'm in a society of people that have chosen to define me that way because they see white as the default, when it can't be.

and we are going to have to agree to disagree because i still think white women are still have more privilege and power than blk men.