Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectRE: okay, fine. let's split hairs
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=203729&mesg_id=203912
203912, RE: okay, fine. let's split hairs
Posted by soulpsychodelicyde, Wed Aug-24-16 05:39 PM
Oy. I'm sorry but his verbatim language below only underscores my point, not yours. What are you even reading? To be clear, my point is he said nothing that in any way suggests he advocates for masturbating in front of children. Point me to where he says it's a good idea or that he's in favor of it. That said, I kind of get why you're pearl-clutching -- you think that kids seeing adults masturbate corrupts them. He clearly disagrees. Fair enough. But to suggest that he's advocating for it is completely debunked by what he says. Like, it just isn't a fair assessment. You don't have to agree with his POV -- his thinking on this is super liberal/leftie/progressive, and most would disagree and take Cyren's approach (I remember the post). But to suggest that he's in favor of it is completely misrepresenting what he's saying. Worse, you took it a step further by saying that he's OK with corrupting kids? Seriously? C'mon. He never said that. In fact, his point is just the opposite -- that he thinks the impact is pretty minimal.

Like, if you're gonna have a credible go at him (a psychopath? really?), then you can't be disingenuous and try to point to shit that didn't happen. Disagree where the real disagreement is: your conflicting POVs on the impact on kids.

But beyond all that, WTF does this have to do with his original question about the Tribe song? I'm super confused by that.

>
>but i'm not overly concerned about kids seeing someone
>masturbate. i can't tell from your narrative if the kids could
>even see him. though if they could i wouldn't be too troubled
>- masturbation is part of life and kids either already know
>what it is or will know soon enough.
>
>i think we make too big a deal of public masturbation - even
>in front of kids. i think we work too hard to 'protect' kids
>from the idea of sex not for their own good but for ours. i
>dunno that kids would be scarred by seeing a guy masturbate.
>b/c what's the big deal about masturbation? kids do it too.
>
>i genuinely don't think public masturbation is a big deal -
>even if kids see it. i genuinely think we expend way too much
>effort attempting to 'shield' kids from sex unnecessarily. i
>genuinely don't believe kids will be scarred if they see a guy
>manipulating his penis for his own pleasure. i genuinely
>believe we attempt to keep kids from sex b/c we think sex is
>dirty and we want kids to exist as some repository of
>'innocence' for OUR benefit more than for theirs. i genuinely
>think kids have no reason to make a big deal of sex unless WE
>give them reasons by panicking about it.