Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectBlack comics have been throwing Dave under the bus...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=47019&mesg_id=47232
47232, Black comics have been throwing Dave under the bus...
Posted by Queal Jay, Thu Jun-09-05 10:46 AM
...every since this shit happened. Just yesterday I was listening to the Tom Joyner Morning Show and they were having a fucking round table discussion on their cruise about Chappelle with a bunch of comics.

DL Hughley and J. Anthony Brown were letting Dave have it. The only person who was showing any compassion was Sommore. The funny thing is NONE of these comics have had the scrutiny and success that Dave got last season. The only one close to it is Hughley but the Kings Of Comedy was strictly a Black thing and he had to share the spotlight with 3 other comics. Dave is in that rarefied air with cats like Murphy, Prior and Rock, so they are the only ones who can really be critical about Dave at this point.

It almost sounds like hating for these cats to be jumping on Dave. I get the feeling these comics are mad at Dave for making that money and then potentially fucking it up, which can potentially fuck it up for them. But none of those comics are going to make money like that anyway.

And the issue about Dave having white writers is such bullshit. It's so petty. Neal Brennen is not his only writing partner and I'm sure there are some other Black writers on that show. So all we know for sure is that there's one white dude that created and wrote that show. Who wrote Good Times, In Living Color, The Bernie Mac Show, Martin, etc? I'm sure some white writers were used on all of those staffs. It's a slippery slope when a fellow Black entertainer starts with that Blacker Than Thou shit.