Go back to previous topic
Forum nameGeneral Discussion Archives
Topic subjectI don't think it gives white people a license for shit...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=18&topic_id=47019&mesg_id=47109
47109, I don't think it gives white people a license for shit...
Posted by Quidom, Sat Jun-11-05 12:53 PM
I can't justify my use of questionable words or an adaptation of black culture by saying that Dave Chappelle made it okay. The bottom line is that if a white person (or any person for that matter) is a line-stepper (or a habitual line-stepper, to quote Charlie Murphy), then they are subject to getting checked for it.

And that's more than fair. I've never understood a white person's justification for the using of the n-word in modern culture. I think its more ignorant to try and justify it than it is to simply use it.

I think Chappelle is pushing envelopes. Period. He's fucking with uncharted waters as far as commercial, nationally-syndicated T.V. is concerned.

And at the end of the day, we as an audience need to reflect off of that and all other media and know what's right and wrong. Honestly, (not to get too deep on this post), he's made me think alot about culture gaps and what's socially acceptable and all that. Through Chappelle's Show.

And I hate when I go to a house party and hear Nineteen Million "I'm Rick James, Bitch"es and Lil' John "What"s and shit... That shit was funny because of HOW Chappelle did it. It is not THOSE WORDS that make it funny. It is HOW those words were said. So for every dumb ass frat dude or cornball who says that shit, they basically show their ass as a loser to me. And I think that's right.

Sorry... *steps down from soapbox*

.quidom.
.posts.guaranteed.to.boost.iqs.