Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectR.I.P Sean Haley aka OKP Disco DJ
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=175500
175500, R.I.P Sean Haley aka OKP Disco DJ
Posted by Funkymusic, Thu Jul-12-18 12:44 AM
:(
175501, I'm fucking floored right now. R.I.P. to a great dude
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jul-12-18 01:11 AM
I'm barely holding it together right now, but I want to get through this.

Sean was a great human being. I've been speaking/talking/chopping it up with him online for almost 15 years now. Had the pleasure to meet him and Scorp almost a decade ago in Chicago. He was cool as fuck, funny as hell, and had an encyclopedic knowledge of music. Brought more humor and insight and in-depth knowledge to this board that almost anyone.

I know we like to lament that "OKP is dead" or "The Lesson is dead," but I will say this site really missed him when he stopped posting here a while back.

I'm at a loss for words. Love you, bro. Peace be onto you and your family.
175502, Rest In Power To My OKP Homie Sean Haley Aka DiscoDj
Posted by Dj Joey Joe, Thu Jul-12-18 01:29 AM
I can't believe it at all, this is some truly sad shit mane, we use to always speak on music from here then when he left here, the conversations, mixes, posting of songs continued on facebook.

Sean will be missed, he always had an upbeat way of talking about music, instead of focusing on the negative, he loved sharing music and giving artists their credit, that's what I liked about him the most.

Damn mane, damn, another homie is gone, damn. :(
175503, my heart is so broken
Posted by fire, Thu Jul-12-18 01:35 AM
๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”
175504, what in the entire fuck??
Posted by araQual, Thu Jul-12-18 06:21 AM
jesus :(
i swear he posted on my fb like a few days ago.
does anyone know what happened...?

V.
175505, ...from what I'm hearing, he had a heart attack.
Posted by PIMPINCHICAGO, Thu Jul-12-18 08:13 AM
I'm still in shock myself.
Definitely a good dude...that even seems like an understatement.
He always looked out for you and was consistent.
Damn.
175506, Heart attack
Posted by Bblock, Thu Jul-12-18 09:22 AM
175507, look, when you talk about GOATs... Disco was in the upper echelon
Posted by Dr Claw, Thu Jul-12-18 06:32 AM
I am seriously fucked up this morning over the news. Sean is great, man. Great. A lot of amazing convos had right here with the dude
175508, Yes, a really nice fella and very funny too
Posted by Vector, Wed Jul-25-18 02:14 PM
175509, i don't even have the words right now.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Jul-12-18 08:10 AM
i'm glad i made it a point to see Sean when i was in Chicago over the Christmas holiday. i was looking forward to getting a chance to kick it and touch some turntables and talk some more shit on my next visit down.

i'm sitting at work trying to fake the funk, but i'm fucked up right now.
175510, Me too. He reached out to me and gave me advice on my show
Posted by Bblock, Thu Jul-12-18 09:24 AM
He shared with me clips from his show and told me the pros and cons he encountered. Very good advice. He will be missed.
175511, He introduced me to Fela
Posted by MisterGrump, Thu Jul-12-18 09:26 AM
he explained to me Disco, House, Deep House, and "that ghetto shit" we called jukin' in Chicago. He was a great dude!!!!
175512, He put me on to Fela too.
Posted by MISTA MONOTONE, Thu Jul-12-18 10:19 AM
175513, The time I met Sean it was at a "Fela Night" in Chicago
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jul-12-18 01:53 PM
I'd flown out there to pick up a bunch of records and get them back to Cali. The evening after I picked up the records, I drove my rented van (full of said records) down to the Southside to meet him and Scorp at the Fela Night event. I believe DJ Spinna was DJing.

Anyway, we kicked it for a while, had some drinks, and rapped about all sorts of music-related shit. Talked a lot about Roy Ayers. Sean was definitely as knowledgeable about music in person as he was online.
175514, RIP to a soulful Cat
Posted by mistermaxxx08, Thu Jul-12-18 10:09 AM
we didn't always see eye to eye, however I want to extend prayers and thoughts to his family, friends and supporters and he was cool peoples

can't believe this one
175515, respect due.
Posted by CyrenYoung, Thu Jul-12-18 10:52 AM

*skatin' the rings of saturn*

..and miles to go before i sleep...
175516, RE: R.I.P Sean Haley aka OKP Disco DJ
Posted by ajiav, Thu Jul-12-18 11:29 AM
Sean Haley wouldnโ€™t have known me by name, and thereโ€™s only a small chance he would have remembered my handle, but none-the-less I appreciated the conversations I had with him and everything he taught me, directly or indirectly. There is no doubt he shaped my thoughts and knowledge with regards to the history of house and dance music, and there are times when I am reminded of something he said or wrote that resonated with me.

I am not in a position to speak authoritatively on him or his life, only to say that I felt his influence and his impact even in my way, and I am appreciative of that. If I feel that at my distance, at a passing acquaintanceship, I can only imagine what it was for friends and family.

RIP
175517, RE: R.I.P Sean Haley aka OKP Disco DJ
Posted by Queal Jay, Thu Jul-12-18 11:31 AM
The Chicago Music/DJ community is really shocked and shaken by this sudden loss heavily. I met him on The Lesson before I actually met him in person. A huge loss.

Rest in power, Brotha Sean โœŠ๐Ÿฟโค๏ธ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿฟ

(Havenโ€™t been on here in years...had to come back to pay my respect...Peace & Blessings to erโ€™body)
175518, been missing his presence here in The Lesson for quite some time
Posted by NoFuture4Us, Thu Jul-12-18 12:04 PM
hiphop
house
rock
jazz
soul
nu wave
synthpop

he was down with everything

RIP my man
175519, He just posted on Twitter like 20 hours ago.
Posted by MME, Thu Jul-12-18 12:26 PM
omg :(
175520, RIP OG
Posted by JtothaI, Thu Jul-12-18 01:54 PM
:/
175521, R.I.P!!!
Posted by Jakob Hellberg, Thu Jul-12-18 03:30 PM
One of my favourite posters here and a guy who on one hand was super-serious about music yet had the ability to discuss it in a fun, playful manner. When I started to post here, it felt like he was one of the guys who set the tone of the place and made it an attractive msgboard; I genuinely feel that much of the appeal of the lesson died when he and other posters with his attitude stopped posting and the MAD!-brigade took over. Whatever... R.I.P
to a dude I never met but who I suspect was awesome
175522, r.i.p.
Posted by kinetic94761180, Thu Jul-12-18 08:31 PM
175523, RIP
Posted by L_O_Quent, Fri Jul-13-18 04:52 AM
175524, RIP.
Posted by Castro, Fri Jul-13-18 09:17 AM
175525, RIP
Posted by Soletaker, Fri Jul-13-18 01:49 PM
175526, RE: R.I.P Sean Haley aka OKP Disco DJ
Posted by spidey, Fri Jul-13-18 07:47 PM
Damn, damn, damn...Rest in Power...
175527, Rest In Peace my G!
Posted by NoDrawls McGraw, Fri Jul-13-18 07:47 PM
Pours likka out for da God!

Ase...

175528, on Twitter, Tara from here added a great quote about him
Posted by bluetiger, Sat Jul-14-18 05:57 AM
"โ€œHe was one of the artists that remind us that while you might DJ alone, DJing is not and has never been a solitary pursuit.โ€

his music knowledge was DEEP.

http://5chicago.com/news/dj-sean-haley-chicago-died/

him and Scorp were the first to ever support my music or art. fk this. he is good people.
175529, One of my all-time favourite posters.
Posted by themn, Sat Jul-14-18 06:58 AM
Intelligent, funny and an all-round good guy.

Damn shame

RIP
175530, :-(
Posted by javi222, Sat Jul-14-18 10:31 PM
As others mentioned, one of my favorite users in this site. Learned a lot from his posts on house. RIP
175531, :( RIP
Posted by My_SP1200_Broken_Again, Mon Jul-16-18 09:22 AM
Thanks for taking the time to school me on different types of music.. i still go back to his inboxes for reference from time to time because they were so detailed and well thought out... Rest in peace, my man!

175532, RIP
Posted by liveguy, Wed Jul-18-18 02:08 PM
175533, Episode of a podcast that I did on Friday dedicated to Sean
Posted by mrhood75, Wed Jul-18-18 03:23 PM
I tried to play only music that I knew he liked, based on convos we'd had over the years here in The Lesson.

It's heavy on the funk/soul/jazz tip, with a bit of hip-hop to start things off. I realize I omitted house and rock, but I hope it captures at least part of his tastes and did them justice. He had boundless knowledge of damn near all music.

http://adp.fm/episodes/episode-199-7/

Here's the playlist:

Public Enemy - Prophets of Rage
Curtis Mayfield - Future Shock
Marvin Gaye - T Plays It Cool
The JBs - Blow Your Head
The JBs - The Grunt
James Brown - I'm a Greedy Man
Archie Bell & The Drells - Tighten Up
The Soul Searchers - Funk For the Folks
Johny Hammond - Tell Me What to Do
Lonnie Liston Smith - Expansions
Jimmy Castor Bunch - King Kong
Sly and the Family Stone - (You Caught Me) Smilin'
Love Unlimited - Move Me No Mountain
Ohio Players - Funky Worm
Sean Haley - FireDance
175534, Just now seeing this :(
Posted by daskap, Thu Jul-19-18 05:48 PM
He and Shinobi Shaw's mixes were entirely the reason I got put on to House music, he had a Brazilian house music from well over a decade ago that I still play for late night drives. RIP
175535, This one hurt.
Posted by BSharp, Sat Jul-21-18 01:08 AM
I never met him face to face, but the depth of this OKP community at one time made it seem like I had.

R.I.P.
175536, RE: R.I.P Sean Haley aka OKP Disco DJ
Posted by Ishwip, Mon Jul-23-18 01:34 PM
When I first got on OKP he was one of those guys who's posts/comments I always read because I knew I'd read something worthwhile and maybe learn a thing or two. On a few occasions I emailed him off the boards for more info and quick questions and he always responded. Somewhere I have a care package he sent through the mail of mixes he had made that along with other posters really got me into brazillian, house, and disco joints.

I never met him in person but I'm still sad to hear he's gone. I know it's a small thing in the grand scheme of family and friends that are going through it right now, but for whatever it's worth as someone I only knew online he had an impact on these boards. I know for me and other posters there's music we specifically got into because of his commentary and recommendations.

__
I don't like the beat anymore because its just a loop. ALC didn't FLIP IT ENOUGH!

Flip it enough? Flip these. Flip off. Go flip some f*cking burgers.(c)Kno

Allied State of the National Electric Beat Treaty Organization (NEBTO)
175537, What the fuck? He was in my thoughts just the other day...
Posted by Vector, Wed Jul-25-18 02:09 PM
He came across as one the good ones. The real, nice souls who love life and people.

My respects to his family and friends.
175538, Peace to Disco
Posted by spitfire, Fri Jul-27-18 06:01 AM
<3
175539, Good to see the Lesson honor its own
Posted by lonesome_d, Tue Jul-31-18 10:08 AM
brings a smile to see some of the names in here remembering Disco. Haven't seen some of these names in the Lesson since my last visit to the archives.

This was a really special community for a long time and Disco was really a key personality in shaping it.
175540, just an all around wonderful person
Posted by love2000, Wed Aug-01-18 12:42 PM

he'd always share music.. and after I left Chicago he'd always make an effort to see me whenever I'd come back in town. One time, he only had about 30 minutes, so we just sat in his car talking shit while he played me some of the tracks he was working on..

~C

175541, Would have been his 50th birthday today.
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Aug-02-18 12:51 PM
Happy born day, Sean. Still messes me up that you aren't around for me to clown you about being old. Peace and rest easy.
175542, would have been an epic Lesson post
Posted by lonesome_d, Wed Aug-08-18 11:33 AM
175543, damn, that's wack
Posted by Small Pro, Tue Aug-07-18 02:58 PM
rest in power homeboy
175544, R.I.U., Prayers & Perseverance to Disco Sean's family and friends...
Posted by natlawdp, Tue Aug-14-18 11:17 AM
Great dude, sorry to be experiencing this late pass moment...

175545, Wow...R.I.P. Disco DJ
Posted by supablak, Tue Aug-14-18 11:26 PM
This bums me out, especially since I had a goddamn heart attack myself last year.

Thank you for your years of playing "good cop' up in here for so many folks seeking direction. Your contribution to this place is invaluable.

The rest of y'all...make sure somebody wanna sing about you when you're gone.

s.blak
Peace Be Still