Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectno sweat.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=1745&mesg_id=1956
1956, no sweat.
Posted by praverbs, Wed Dec-22-04 12:17 AM
i've been thinking a lot about the primary differences in black and white culture, and the idea of bein cool (not breaking a sweat in moments of intensity, as i see it) plays into it. i get all these parallel dichotomies.

i look at every action as dialogue of some sort, communication the primary mode of being. as such, i see the main difference between niggas and crackas in the type of communication they value most.

black vs. white for me is oral vs. literary.
improvisation vs. orchestration.
rhythm vs. melody.
capturing the moment vs. planning for posterity.

i know this reply seems random as hell, because i can't really explain the connection without attempting a dissertation. i had planned on a post using the crack trade to illustrate the idea but decided i was getting too big for my britches. but yeah, the concern for cool amongst niggas seems to be a necessary characteristic considering the value we place on oral communication.

...one day it will all make sense. or at least one day i'll be able to explain it in a way that satisfies me.

« can't see the ghetto for the palm trees »

"why do y'all hate black people so much?" - k. orr