Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectthis seems to deal more with
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=1745&mesg_id=1943
1943, this seems to deal more with
Posted by praverbs, Tue Dec-21-04 06:00 PM
the products, manifestations of cool than cool itself.

bboy stances and throwbacks? those are fleeting expressions of cool.

black cool has always been about being casual while doing the unusual. jordan gliding from the freethrow line like his opponents ain't even there? black cool. miles turning his back on the audience at his show? black cool. cam' rockin pink and still actin thuggery like the color poses no question to his masculinity? black cool.

the way you speak about cool here is almost anti-cool. generalized expressions of cool can't be cool for long because then you aren't being casual with the unsual. you're being casual with the usual.

george clinton is very cool. the nigga was a fuckin freak and didn't give a damn. that's cool. that's why it's still cool to fuk with some p-funk in my hood...which would make it uncool because it's so usual. haha.

i can't even wrap my mind around a distinction between coolness and funkiness tho. funk is definitive black cool. some folks fake it...not really being comfortable with standing out. but some folks can do them with or without the spotlight, and be chill wit it.

« can't see the ghetto for the palm trees »

"why do y'all hate black people so much?" - k. orr