Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectHov is my favorite emcee,
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=1745&mesg_id=1928
1928, Hov is my favorite emcee,
Posted by steg1, Sun Dec-26-04 07:49 PM
however this is a thorough assessment/analyzation.

I think he is far to deep and profound a thinker and emcee to keep his cool the entire time. He does a good job on singles, and in the public eye, though. If you listen to the records all the way thru, particularly BP, BP2, and the Black album.

>if anyone exemplifies this "coolness" being described, i'd nod in the direction of young hov. for years, roc-a-fella itself was a brand built on his identity as one cool motherfucker.
jay's music is distinctly without passion -- he mocks you when he's angry, he sends goons to come get you instead of getting his own mitts dirty and his moments of vulnerability remain painted with the brush of dopeness (he's so gangster that he shot his brother, when he lost his main squeeze it was because he was fucking so many other girls). even though he knows he's one of hiphop's all-time greats, he still lacks the self-confidence to let down his guard completely. as a result, jay's shit lacks the honesty that speaks to the fans of inferior emcees like tupac and nas.

>it extends to jay's choices for production, singles, videos, etc. peep the supposed plan for the black album: no singles, no videos, no radio, no ads. the reality: singles and videos from the 'tunes and timbaland and an accompanying marketing frenzy. while an excellent album, the only real surprise was that he plucked rick rubin to do a beat and made a artsy video for the song. even retired, hov's back at it -- song with hot-rapper-of-the-minute slim thug, album with r. kelly, even his courtship of beyonce (not that anyone could be faulted for slanging cock at that strong-thighed mare, but jay just had to "have the hottest girl in the game wearing his chain").

>as talented as hovito is, his unwillingness to FUCK UP his aura of coolness means that we'll never see the best he could have done. he simply refuses to take a headlong plunge into the pool of artistry, instead opting to keep one arm on the safety of the edge's anti-slip tiling -- so reasonable doubt begets "sunshine", the blueprint begets "me and my girlfriend" and the black album begets "big chips". maybe it just illustrates the intrinsic problem with an artist/executive who values the bottom line more than creativity.<

However I think that Jay reveals himself to be sensitive, contemplative, second guessing himself, scared, and overall humble in fear of death.

Examples-"Some people Hating" off BP2 where he admits defeat to Nas and speaks on insecurities.

"Song Cry" he definitely drops his guard, despite it being contrived. He is still willing to put hisself out there.

"Moment of Clarity" is all about second guessing.

Then there are the subliminal ways he exposes his overly analytical, self-obsessesed insecurity...

Calling out rappers for no reason (although some say Nas was a marketing idea to benefit both conceived by Steve Stoute) like Prodigy. They were in different universes, what could be gained other that posturing? Why do people posture? They feel inferior in some way, less macho, hard, call it whatcha will.

He feels (felt, PRE BEYONCE) its all good,ya knowSmackin' hoes, bangin they friends, gettin em drunk or rolled out on e', bringin' em home diggin em out, and bangin' em out and kickin' em out bout 7am. Then you call him a mysoginist, but ask Columbine, he was the first one in line donating proceeds from every ticket sold. I mean, what exactly is the correlation. Smack a hoe on the singles, but cut a check to charity,and make OTHER records that somewhat give praise to some women, the lessons learned, and asking for forgineness.
Because clearly people aren't listening to the records the whole way through. All they hear is his radio records.

>it extends to jay's choices for production, singles, videos, etc. peep the supposed plan for the black album: no singles, no videos, no radio, no ads. the reality: singles and videos from the 'tunes and timbaland and an accompanying marketing frenzy. while an excellent album, the only real surprise was that he plucked rick rubin to do a beat and made a artsy video for the song.<

I don't think the record company woulda been down with the original black album plan, especially if it really was his final record.lol