Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectjay-z built an empire on being cool.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=1745&mesg_id=1909
1909, jay-z built an empire on being cool.
Posted by Guinness, Tue Dec-21-04 11:47 AM
if anyone exemplifies this "coolness" being described, i'd nod in the direction of young hov. for years, roc-a-fella itself was a brand built on his identity as one cool motherfucker.

jay's music is distinctly without passion -- he mocks you when he's angry, he sends goons to come get you instead of getting his own mitts dirty and his moments of vulnerability remain painted with the brush of dopeness (he's so gangster that he shot his brother, when he lost his main squeeze it was because he was fucking so many other girls). even though he knows he's one of hiphop's all-time greats, he still lacks the self-confidence to let down his guard completely. as a result, jay's shit lacks the honesty that speaks to the fans of inferior emcees like tupac and nas.

it extends to jay's choices for production, singles, videos, etc. peep the supposed plan for the black album: no singles, no videos, no radio, no ads. the reality: singles and videos from the 'tunes and timbaland and an accompanying marketing frenzy. while an excellent album, the only real surprise was that he plucked rick rubin to do a beat and made a artsy video for the song. even retired, hov's back at it -- song with hot-rapper-of-the-minute slim thug, album with r. kelly, even his courtship of beyonce (not that anyone could be faulted for slanging cock at that strong-thighed mare, but jay just had to "have the hottest girl in the game wearing his chain").

as talented as hovito is, his unwillingness to FUCK UP his aura of coolness means that we'll never see the best he could have done. he simply refuses to take a headlong plunge into the pool of artistry, instead opting to keep one arm on the safety of the edge's anti-slip tiling -- so reasonable doubt begets "sunshine", the blueprint begets "me and my girlfriend" and the black album begets "big chips". maybe it just illustrates the intrinsic problem with an artist/executive who values the bottom line more than creativity.