Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjecti think youre right
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=1745&mesg_id=1889
1889, i think youre right
Posted by GumDrops, Tue Dec-21-04 12:48 PM
>the only way dancing is acceptable for a man in that
>environment is if the man is dancing w/a woman. why? b/c
>dancing isn't cool unless it's a prelude to sex or is
>suggestive of sex. dancing as a form of personal expression
>isn't encouraged or tolerated in hip-hop.

hold on though - do men dance alone freely in say, house clubs? i was gonna say R&B clubs, but then that's pretty much the same as a hip hop club these days. i wonder whats it like in reggae clubs.

then again, watching the 'ray' film recently, seeing all those club-goers in the 50s dancing with the opposite sex leads me to think that theres always been a bit of that 'dont dance unless its with a girl' attitude.

the other thing i really was talking about in hip hop though was the attitude of not dancing, and just leaning by a wall or standing in a circle, nodding your head, while a few rare people dance in front of you. maybe hip hop attracts/used to attract more people who werent cool, i.e who couldnt really dance. or is not being able to dance cooler now? i dont know - this post has me confused.

i saw an interview with chuck d once who said the reason for the S1Ws was cos none of the group could dance. he laughed it off after he said it, but i bet he wasnt joking, lol.