Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectthe argument/discussion isn't even abt good music though - its
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=174201&mesg_id=174273
174273, the argument/discussion isn't even abt good music though - its
Posted by vee-lover, Fri Feb-10-12 04:44 PM
abt D'angelo and his music in particular and why he has such a fandom....

>Good music has always been around.

I mean like no one at all said or even implied he brought back good music per se LOL...that's obvious that there was good to great music stil being made when artists like MJ, Prince, Lionel Ritchie, Anita Baker and so on were still relevant and making great music before anyone knew a D'angelo existed....my point was trying to point out why he received such a buzz we hadn't seen from any blk male solo (soul) artist since maybe Bobby Brown whose music was more in the contemporary r&b lane anyway (which is why Whitney said he was the "the king of r&b and not soul music).
>
>Now if the argument is it wasn't on black radio - then okay.
>
>However, Voodoo wasn't on black radio either outside of
>Untitled.

Voodoo wasn't played on any radio stations because hardly any of those songs were your typical radio friendly songs, not even 'untitled' which got some airplay because of the video mainly....but 'Left and Right' and 'Devils Pie' were in rotation on blk radio...
>
>So that's why I pointed it out the way I did.
>
>Doesn't matter if black radio plays it or not - they have
>never played Bjork either and I'm sure she dont give a damn
>feel me?

but again, you're still making my point. Since when has there been an r&b/soul artist that had the type of buzz D had w/o getting spins on blk radio or any radio stations for that matter? NONE...that speaks more abt the power of word of mouth vis-a-vis D'angelo and how ppl were longing for true soul music.