Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectMan I saw Kay Dee's tweet like an hour ago and my heart sank
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=170195&mesg_id=170213
170213, Man I saw Kay Dee's tweet like an hour ago and my heart sank
Posted by Bombastic, Mon Apr-13-15 06:57 PM
Still have a DM from him on there with his address because I was gonna put a package of some books/flicks to send over to him while he recovered and like an asshole I never actually got to the post office before forgetting about it.

I knew he was battling but he seemed good up until going quiet in the past month or so and was too caught up to notice much before getting today's news.

Not sure why considering it was cancer but it really never crossed my mind that he might not make it.

Heartbreaking, dude was always one of the coolest and fairest contributors in this forum since the beginning.

And while he had his areas of concentration (Southern rap obviously being #1 on the list, he was open to music of any kind from Modest Mouse to blues to Sqad Up mix tapes (he was the one who put me up on the 4th one when it dropped and sorta sprung Wayne's second act before the Carter series).

And he never really had an agenda or took shit personally if you hated something he dug (I went in on that last indie-rock Big Boi album that he took as a wonderful stylistic expansion).

Or ever really actively hated on anyone.......well, besides Wyclef for his contributions towards the decline of TI's career in the mid-2000s......and when he did so it was hilarious because you were so not used to hearing him go at an artist like that so his rage and Clef being Clef it was pure comedy.

I hope his suffering on the way out wasn't too brutal and extended.

Condolences to his family, in particular his wife and daughter.

Like a lot of OKPs, I never actually met him in the physical but really felt like I knew him and would have been great to hang with if I was ever in ATL or him LA.

Much love and respect, Menph we miss u already.