Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectHonestlly, dude I hate this argument.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=154968&mesg_id=155017
155017, Honestlly, dude I hate this argument.
Posted by mrhood75, Sat Apr-07-12 07:01 PM
Marley himself likes to advance it these days: If they were the real producers, why wasn't their music as good after they stopped fucking with me.

It ignores the other side of the equation: If Marley was such a producer, how come his music wasn't as good after he stopped fucking with the Juice Crew? (And bear in mind, I'm of the opinion that he was the producer in the situation that Eric B. is speaking on)

Marley output post mid-1990 is pretty spotty at best. He produced most of Craig G's second album (Craig G got the co-producer credit and Salaam Remi remixed two tracks), he did a tracks for Heavy D, he remixed a King Tee track, and after that... there's not really much at all. There's the first Lords of the Underground album, but all accounts, he was working extensively with K-Def by that point. His stuff on LL's "!4 Shots" was mediocre, the second LOTUG album sucked. And it's honestly a little damning of him that he barely produced anything between the Juice Crew falling apart and him hooking up with K-Def.