Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectEric B goin in on Marley Marl *swipe*
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=154968&mesg_id=154968
154968, Eric B goin in on Marley Marl *swipe*
Posted by ABROCK33, Thu Apr-05-12 01:12 PM

I havnt heard anything good about Marley from any of the pioneers dude seems like a crud by all the accounts Ive read stealing credit and such

Biz said it
Kane said it
Shan said it
Masta Ace wouldnt let him

this dude seems scandalous

http://allhiphop.com/2008/02/29/class-of-88-paid-in-full/

AllHipHop.com: I was speaking to Marley about three weeks ago and I asked him to give me some commentary about the two records he produced on Paid In Full so I can combine it with your words for the track by track layout. This is some of what he had to say:

“Those two songs I did were their first two records. Let me make that clear. “My Melody” was Rakim’s first recording with Eric B. When the first MC didn’t show up, which was Freddie Foxx; we gave Eric B. another shot to get someone else in the studio. He was like “I know my boy from Long Island will come out here, so give me another shot.” So I gave him another shot and he came. Just think if Foxx would have showed up the first day. There probably would have never been a Eric B. and Rakim. That’s crazy.”

Eric B.: That’s not true. First of all let’s go back. Marlon was the engineer of the session, not the producer of the session. If he produced on the record it would have said he produced and he would have got publishing. Am I correct?

AllHipHop.com: Correct.

Eric B.: Marlon has not gotten a dollar in publishing and never has taken us to court to get publishing and he is not the producer. What happened was Marlon was the engineer. Let me give you how the whole thing started. When I went to Long Island I met a guy named Alvin Toney. Alvin took me around and I was working for WBLS at the time I was their mobile DJ and I used to play at all their mobile events. I met Alvin all the way in Wyandanch Long Island, and he’s like “We got MC’s out here and this and that, I got my man Freddie Foxx.” We went to Freddie Foxx’s house and he wasn’t home. He was like “I got another dude, he nice too!” “He has a totally different style than Foxx; he got an aggressive style.” “This dude got a smooth laid back style.” So Alvin takes me to Rakim’s house and we start talking.

So I meet Rakim’s brother Stevie Blass. Stevie was working at a plant that was making bootleg records. It was a backdoor pressing plant so he had every record there was. So I chose some records and I was cutting it in the basement. I’ll never forget this. Rakim was down there drinking beer. I put the beat on and I had to put a bass line on it. So I took Fonda Rea’s “Over Like A Fat Rat” and said this is the bass line I’m going to use for this record. Rakim spit the beer all over the wall and thought it was the funniest sh*t in the world. I told Rakim, just like you laughing now you going to be laughing all the way to the bank and be a millionaire one day because of this record.

I took the records to Marley Marl’s house in Queensbridge and paid Marley Marl to be the engineer. Marley got paid. That’s why he’s not a producer, that’s why he is not getting publishing. I brought the music. I just couldn’t work the equipment because that’s not what I did. If you look on the record, it says mixed by Marley Marl and MC Shan. The reason for that is, Marlon used to tell me that Rakim was wack. “Yo E. this guy is rhyming too slow and he’s giving me a headache.” He would do all these different excuses. Shan was in the house. The record company agreed to put out “My Melody” but we needed a mix. Me and Shan sat there the whole time trying to figure out a mix ourselves. If you listen to the record, it has highs and lows. There were great sounding records at the time, but I listen to stuff on the record now and it sends chills through me like dam how did we deliver this? Me and Shan did all the mixes because Marley Marl didn’t want to do them because Rakim was rhyming too slow and he was Marley a headache.

AllHipHop.com: Okay, here is what Marley said in regards to Shan engineering the session:

“What’s ironic about those two sessions was MC Shan was an assistant engineer or an apprentice at my studio. So I let Shan record Rakim’s vocals for those songs.”

Eric B.: That’s not true. Them dudes were at a different place in their life and they were getting high and I don’t get high so I remember everything. I am so sick of all these lies that these dudes tell. They continue to perpetuate these lies and it’s ridiculous. Shan wasn’t trying to get his feet wet with the engineering. Shan was down there with me and he was like “You my man, let’s try to see if we can work these records.” That’s how it came about. I know what it is. Marley can’t tell you where he got the records from. I brought the records with me, I knew what I wanted. That’s why he’s not a producer and he don’t get a publishing.

AllHipHop.com: In regards to making “My Melody” this is what he had to say.

“For “My Melody” me and Eric we were “Rising To The Top” lovers. He was like “Why don’t you replay “Rising To The Top?” So I was like bet, so I just chopped up a beat off the head.”

Eric B.: Dude, that’s not true. “My Melody” was a song Rakim already had and all the other melodies came from stuff Rakim’s brother Stevie Blass. That’s another lie. Rakim already did a record called “My Melody,” and he had rhymed for like a half an hour on the tape. That’s the short version you hear on the album. Rakim had a record he had written a long time ago, and Stevie had played the music and when me and Marlon came back in we did the song over. Just like the movie Paid In Full, they always talk about that Alpo always played “Paid In Full.” They did not play “Paid In Full.” They played “Eric B. Is President.” “Paid In Full” hadn’t come out at that time when Alpo was doing that stuff they were doing. It’s a lot of inconsistencies.