Go back to previous topic
Forum nameThe Lesson Archives
Topic subjectRE: #76: They don't get it lol>
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=17&topic_id=104783&mesg_id=104865
104865, RE: #76: They don't get it lol>
Posted by Voodoochilde, Fri May-02-08 05:22 PM

>It's as if u were attacking hendrix lol. I immediately got
>what your point was. All these people talking sales and
>popularity and whether her talent is up to the genuis of
>hendrix miss the point. What comes across to me is that both
>took their art very seriously. They lived and breathed it. U
>can find their hopes and dreams for themseleves and the world
>in their albums. They are both highly observant and somewhat
>removed form the culture while also commenting on it.>

thank you... that's what i 'tried' to say in post #6...most folks are misinterpreting what the actual comparison is that's trying to be made...

in my opinion:

the original post-er WASN'T comparing popularity
the original post-er WASN'T comparing virtuosity on instruments
the original post-er WASN'T comparing influences on popular music
the original post-er WASN'T comparing the styles of music they created

what i think the original post-er WAS trying to compare was their depth of commitment and passion to their craft and creative approach. Their 'M.O.' if you will. Their approach to it all. There just aren't a WHOLE lot of artists out their these days with 'that' type of 'naked' devotion to their craft and the creative process behind it. These type of artists are (and really always have been) the minority out there in the general musical environment. There are a lot of music makers out there who make music because they're good at it, or because they like to, or some because it comes easy to them, or some because it brings them fame fortune...theres a lot of folks who make music because they want to make it...but i think rarer are the artists who make music because they HAVE to...it IS them and it's OF them and you can feel that shit in their music regardless of what style of music they play. Jimi was one of them. Meshell is one of them. THATS what i think the original post-er was trying to say.

and yes...the original post-er would be correct