Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectSpinoff from SOY: games that became "quests" on the NES
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=43148
43148, Spinoff from SOY: games that became "quests" on the NES
Posted by Bridgetown, Mon Nov-28-05 03:52 AM
It happened more than once. Arcade games that either couldn't be fully done right on the NES, or games that were just radically different on the NES just because.

Sometimes they were far better than the original. Take Bionic Commando, for instance.

Sometimes they just shouldn't have attempted it. Take Street Fighter 2010... please.

How many games were like this? Here's what I remember, off the top of my head (with a indication of how I thought they pulled it off):
Bionic Commando (far better)
Strider (not nearly as good... but not bad, either)
Section Z (didn't like either)
SF:2010 (yeech)
Rygar (not as good... but not the worst game)

...that's all I can remember for now. Were there any more that you can recall? What'd you think about the above "interpretations"?

--Maurice
43165, SF 2010 was horrible
Posted by BigReg, Mon Nov-28-05 09:28 AM
Although, I remember it was the only new game I had during a gaming rut, and I eventually beat it. Wasn't it like Ken travelled to the future, put on some body armor, and went kicking ass?

It was NOTHING like SF. I almost feel it was probably a different game in Japan, and Capcom just threw the street fighter name on it to try to get someone to buy it.
43282, True.
Posted by truth0ne SGC, Mon Nov-28-05 09:55 PM
"Final Fight" was supposed to be the sequel to "Street Fighter".
I don't know what they were doing with that 2010 shit.
43229, RE: Spinoff from SOY: games that became "quests" on the NES
Posted by PoppaGeorge, Mon Nov-28-05 04:30 PM
- Dragon's Lair is the King of this category. The NES was capable (to some extent) of recreating the original even if some of the levels had to be cut. I had Space Ace and Dragon's Lair on my old Atari ST and each game took up 3 double-sided single density floppies. This pretty much means that the NES COULD have had a decent, cartoon-like translation if they had put the work into it necessary to do it right and it would have fit nicely on an 8Mb/1MB cart.

- Ninja Gaiden for the NES was another cart that me and crew bought on the strength of the arcade original. Completely different in every way from the original game, though definitely one of the NES's better games.

If memory serves me right Donkey Kong and DK Jr were both missing a level, not that it's the same as being changed completely, but I thought I would mention it.