Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectThis and RJCC
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=303753&mesg_id=303800
303800, This and RJCC
Posted by handle, Mon Aug-13-18 01:47 PM
I did do some of the things that guy suggested in RJCC's post above.

But I did update my bios --and somehow munge/destroy my SSD.

The re-installation of Windows went a LOT faster than it used to - it required maybe 3 reboots - which is vastly improved over the 10 or more it used to take. (My system is about 15 months old so the psychical CD that came with it is pretty out of date.)

I've always had a PC but I used to be Mac used to be 90% of my "productivity" work.

So my PC build is a Powerspec G405 (http://www.microcenter.com/product/475438/powerspec-g405-desktop-computer) basically a prebuilt i7- 7700k with 16GB of DDR-3000 ram, a 512 gb SSD, 600W power supply, an okay MSI PCMate motherboard -- and comes with Windows Home - which cost $899. (I couldn't have built one by hand for cheaper.)

I added in an MSI Founders Edition GTX 1080 ti , a Blu-ray writer (from an older machine), and a 2TB internal HD.

A Dell UP3216Q UltraSharp 4k UHD 32" IPS Monitor rounds it out.

I also have an Oculus Rift which is under used.

Note: I have a webcam and camera in a box if I need them - but I don't trust windows enough to leave them connected.

What I miss from Mac (and can probably replace):
Expose windowing actions - the Windows version is wonky and not smooth.

Notes - synced with the cloud.

Time Machine - I need to understand the difference between restore points and real backups - and how real backups are stored and how you can recover from them.

iTunes is much better on Mac.

Garage band is fun as hell. (Still have it on my iPad.)

Windows stuff that seems better:
Un-raring/un-parring seems way quicker on Windows.

Paragon HFS+ software seems way better mount HFS+ than the NTFS version fro mac did with NTFS.

Chrome seems faster.

Love the 8 USB ports on the machine and that hubs seems to be rock solid -- whereas on the Mac had issues. The transfer speeds to external USB are rock solid - sometimes my mac would write really slow to them - due to hubs.

So after a few weeks I am not JONESING for a Mac - I thought I would be.