Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectR.I.P. Kinect
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=303189
303189, R.I.P. Kinect
Posted by Boogiedwn, Wed Jan-03-18 03:55 PM
MicroSoft discontinues Kinect adapter for Windows and newer Xboxes

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/1/2/16842738/microsoft-kinect-adapter-xbox-one-x-s-discontinued

Microsoft stopped manufacturing Kinects back in October, but the company’s once vaunted camera sensor has suffered one final death today, as Microsoft confirms to Polygon that it’s discontinued production on the Kinect Adapter, making it practically impossible for new Xbox One S and One X owners who don’t already own an adapter to with their consoles. (The adapter is also used for making use of the the Kinect with a Windows 10 PC.)

Microsoft originally offered the dongle to Xbox One S owners for free as a way to allow them to continue using the Kinect with the newer version of the console, before later charging $39.99 for the adapter after that promotion ended. In a statement to Polygon, a Microsoft spokesperson commented that, “After careful consideration, we decided to stop manufacturing the Xbox Kinect Adapter to focus attention on launching new, higher fan-requested gaming accessories across Xbox One and Windows 10.”

The Kinect Adaptor is already out of stock at almost every major retailer, leaving users still hoping to use a Kinect at the mercy of the second-hand market, where the adapter runs for between $150 to $300, making it an incredibly expensive proposition for anyone hoping to pick up a Kinect for their Xbox One or ever make use of one currently collecting dust in a closet.

And so, with Microsoft’s confirmation that it has officially discontinued the Kinect Adaptor, it seems that it’s time to close the book on the motion gaming era once and for all — at least, until someone tries to resurrect the idea in a few years.

Correction: Clarified language to make it clear that Kinect devices still will work, just that Microsoft has discontinued the adapter going forward.
303191, Voice commands were great, everything else was meh
Posted by sectachrome86, Wed Jan-03-18 04:58 PM
303212, I messed up not getting one of those S/X adapters while they were out
Posted by Lach, Thu Jan-11-18 05:54 PM
Now I gotta search hard for one for a reasonable price to connect it to the X. Hell I still like walking in and saying Cortana, Xbox on and turning on everything.
303216, right!
Posted by ne_atl, Fri Jan-12-18 09:25 AM
> Hell I still like walking in and saying
>Cortana, Xbox on and turning on everything.

Everything turns on with those words. TV, amp, XBOX and external hard drive....but I got the adapter before receiving the X.
303217, same here
Posted by Boogiedwn, Fri Jan-12-18 09:43 AM
I was waiting to use a Christmas gift card on the adapter, went to look at the prices and got sticker shock.

Who the hell is paying $200 plus for that adapter?
303215, and yet another promising bit of technology is shelved by Microsoft
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Jan-11-18 06:58 PM