Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectSuper Mario Odyssey
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=302920
302920, Super Mario Odyssey
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Fri Oct-27-17 11:06 AM
So Nintendo is getting game of the year regardless right?
BOTW or This. This game is immaculate.

302921, Yeah. They should just tie it up. Give it to both.
Posted by ChampD1012, Fri Oct-27-17 11:19 AM
302924, Yeah, I barely got to play it but it’s pretty damn good so far.
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Fri Oct-27-17 02:58 PM
I dunno if it’ll pass Zelda for me since that’s probably my favorite game of all time, but it’s a fantastic game from what I’ve seen.

I will say that the boss fights have been excellent so far and the game looks amazing on the Switch’s screen.
302925, They definitely cleaning up the GOTYs.
Posted by IkeMoses, Fri Oct-27-17 03:04 PM
I don't even own a Switch, but the zeitgeist is all Nintendo right now.
302947, Outside of the graphics
Posted by Numba_33, Tue Oct-31-17 02:55 PM
Pretty remarkable how the game re-worked how coins work within the Mario universe. The replayability (I'm certain that isn't a real word) for the game is pretty damn high as well since you get rewarded for getting more moon pieces even after beating the game. I was going to post that the game is a bit too easy, but the difficulty does ratchet up once you replay the new areas after beating the game for the first time.

A brilliant re-working of the Mario universe. And I won't spoil the various references to the past Mario games, but those are done perfectly as well.

Since folks mentioned Zelda, I will say this game is a lot easier to sink your teeth into since it is far more linear than Zelda. I'm guessing the game of the year accolades will depend on if folks like or dislike the more linear fashion for Super Mario Odyssey.
302968, This may have replaced Mario 3 as my Mario GOAT.
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Tue Nov-07-17 04:41 PM
302970, Love how much stuff there is to find
Posted by topaz, Thu Nov-09-17 08:34 AM
Only thing I don't like are the motion controls, those actions just aren't precise at all.
302971, I don’t even bother with the motion controls.
Posted by Innocent Criminal, Thu Nov-09-17 03:56 PM
Pro controller has been fine enough for me to do all the advanced jumps.