Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectYup. He’s fucking killed his site more then the allegations
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=302892&mesg_id=302902
302902, Yup. He’s fucking killed his site more then the allegations
Posted by BigReg, Mon Oct-23-17 10:55 PM
With the community and off topic forums gone thats years worth of great posts that should have been archived. You can't go back to a simpler time; I don’t think he understood what made the place ‘work’. People came for the community aspect, without that..we might as well be on twitter.

>it deflects from the accusations and pivots to talking about
>how discussions on heated news, political issues, and social
>issues has made everybody weary. haha

And its like while I get his bigger point on em having to work overtime against the trolls now that the behavior is normalized (Hella threads would be banned user graveyards from people trying to pull alt-right shit) it looks like his shitty leadership sunk the ship...his staff felt exposed and when there should have been heavy handed “Fuck noes” he aint do shit. Vice pretty much nailed him here:

https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/qv384d/inside-the-sexual-misconduct-allegations-rocking-neogafs-last-48-hoursd

"Internet drama isn't new to NeoGAF," said one moderator, "but when the allegation is that the site owner sexually harassed someone, and it is allowed to spiral out of control to a point where it's a really bad look, it's hard to justify sticking around without a knowing that there's a clear plan ahead. Not knowing how this would move forward is what sealed the deal for me. It's impossible to moderate the forum in future in good faith when I'm unable to honestly answer valid questions people might have about this matter."

The wait is what prompted this mod, and many others, to quit...

...t remains strange that Malka's first public comments on the allegations came to a reporter, rather than the community itself. More than 48 hours after questions were raised, Malka still hasn't said a word on social media. A pattern begins to emerge: Malka was slow and awkward to respond to the revelation that one of its own moderators, an outspoken progressive, was a pedophile, and Malka was slow and awkward to respond to allegations made about his own conduct.

This is in character with what moderators I spoke to described as Malka's "hands-off" style of management when it came to on site policy—except for in cases where it suited him.

"There was historically a lot of dissatisfaction with cases where he overrided us, made policy on a whim, or did things that we had to answer for," said one moderator.

Ultimately, it may be Malka's own action (or inaction) that leads to NeoGAF's demise.