Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectIt feels especially bad right now because Japan is beasting
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=301841&mesg_id=301873
301873, It feels especially bad right now because Japan is beasting
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Tue Feb-28-17 01:59 PM
and Xbox is not getting AAA third party Japanese games (Nier Automata, Yakuza 0, Nioh) because they've done so poorly there and doesn't have the AAA first party investments in Japanese studios that are paying off for their competition (Last Guardian, Gravity Rush, Zelda BotW).

Heck, their first party stuff outside the big three of Forza, Halo, and Gears has been pretty dismal this generation. All those high profile cancellations haven't helped, either. It seems like MS had great initial success with the 360 and slowly but surely came to rely almost exclusively on third parties to carry them. In the tail end of the PS3/360/Wii generation, PS3 was getting all the cool exclusives like Last of Us where 360 was doing well with better versions of games like Dark Souls and Skyrim. Letting third parties take the lead isn't bad per se, but when your box isn't the best place to actually play those games because it's underpowered, well, what are you really offering?

As an owner of a PS4 Pro, Xbox One S, and (come Friday) a Switch, I'd definitely like to see some more reasons to justify my xbone sticking around. Also, just for the general health of the industry, things are better when MS is a strong competitor to Sony. I don't think PS4 would have been nearly as good as it has been if Sony wasn't trying to make sure MS didn't have the kind of success they did with the 360.