Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjecti think it depends on what you grew up on
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=301275&mesg_id=301388
301388, i think it depends on what you grew up on
Posted by bearfield, Tue Dec-13-16 07:25 PM
>reducing PURE VIDEO GAME ASS GAMES to just NON-STOP ACTION is
>hella arbitrary considering some of the earliest video games
>were narrative focused text adventures.

iirc most of those were relegated to PC. maniac mansion was on NES. can't think of another one. ultima? oregon trail? i don't remember encountering text-based PC games until i played zork and the ad&d games at a friend's house in the early 90s

i do strongly recall narrative-light, action-heavy, and mechanically deep games like river city ransom, crystalis, and clash at demonhead. probably just selective memory. i'm sure i played through many a shallow game as a wee lad. and i think dragon quest and final fantasy had significant streches of the game that only served the narrative

>but who am i to deny people whatever boxes they need to
>organize their world?

i guess? i love how derailed this post has become. y'all seem sensitive about me and rj not liking these games (or derailing the post?) who cares? like what you like. i would love to be able to experience games like this in the way that y'all do but all i can see is the seams. the same goes for tv and movies. all i can think about is the location of the cameras and the sides that are hidden on an actor's person or taped under a chair