Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectCall of Duty has a big budget story and robust multiplayer
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=299174&mesg_id=299193
299193, Call of Duty has a big budget story and robust multiplayer
Posted by Nodima, Mon Mar-14-16 11:05 AM
This is literally what translates to "$60" in most of the gaming public these days.

Uncharted, Call of Duty, The Last of Us, these are generally the sorts of games people are okay paying $60 for. Games that are heavily repeatable like Diablo or sports games are 'approved' $60 releases as well.

Everything else seems arbitrary. Destiny is addictive but tells a terrible story, so you'll hear folks say it should've been anywhere from $20 to $40. Never mind it's an expertly crafted gun shooting game that worked as advertised from day one and has mostly gotten better for a reasonable price.

Metal Gear Solid V is a $60 game because it can last over 100 hours despite almost everyone reasonable ignoring the multiplayer. Same with Grand Theft Auto V.

Firewatch makes sense at $20 because it's a five hour story, but it probably should have been $10. Or $5. The Batman games are okay at $60 because they're pretty and Batman is famous.

I don't often enjoy comparing games to movies but when it comes to price point, I'll gladly pay $30-$40 to go see a film with my girlfriend, buy a beer for before and a beer for during along with some popcorn. That's a two/three hour experience, something even the shortest of games RARELY come close to wrapping up as quickly. So I really don't understand how a game can offer you unlimited play time and NOT be worth $60. Different strokes for different folks, but it's not a criticism of the game, IMO. It's just a judgement call on that person's part.

Price arguments are always dumb to me. I spent $60 on MGSV and still haven't finished it, whereas I beat GTA V in about four days on PS3 and then again over two weeks during the PS4 re-release. I don't really go back in and cause chaos. I've easily spent more time with Destiny than either of them despite it clearly being a 'lesser' game.

No Man's Sky clearly looks like a game which asks you to make it work for you. I'm stoked as hell for it in a way I've never been for these types of games. I don't care about Minecraft, Terraria, Rust, all that shit. But this sounds like it's removing all the Mass Effect from Mass Effect while actually making the size of the space tangible in a way no game's ever conveyed before. I think my disappointment at spending 20 minutes flying to a planet only to find it's 70% radeon and I can't harness that element at all or have no known use for it will be visceral, not ACTUALLY disappointing. And my excitement when I find a planet that's legitimately wild or interesting or useful to me...I really want to see what this universe offers.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz