Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectI went ahead and pulled the trigger
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=299106&mesg_id=299675
299675, I went ahead and pulled the trigger
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Sun May-08-16 07:37 PM
TL;DR - Bought an HP which is cheaper and less powerful than the computers on my checklist before. Overall, my impression is good, although the machine doesn't have Bluetooth (??!!?)

The Dell Pi-Day deal might have gotten me to pull the trigger sooner.

I ended up getting a computer with less power than the XPS or Samsung Ativ. The machine that I settled on is a HP Pavilion with a 5th Generation Core i5 with 6GB RAM. Link below:

http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/Laptops/hp-pavilion-15t-laptop-m7h64av-1

The machine was cheaper than the models on my checklist.

One reason was that my finances changed and the thought of spending money when my finances were tight didn't appeal to me. Also, even though my usage habits might be on the high-end for a normal user, the machine I have now will suit my needs. For the most part, the most advanced thing I'll be doing is either playing game or writing web apps or using Photoshop or Blender, a 3d animation tool, for logos. So, it would have been nice to buy a Mac or a XPS, but if my finances change, which I hope they do in the next six months, I will save some money to buy an Apple product next time.

It's light, but the build quality is just okay. The old computer, and eight-year old Dell, might have been sturdier, but it was also heavier. My sister has a 2012 MacBook and that computer is heavier and sturdier. But Apple is the standard and the difference is noticeable but not significant.

The only problem I have is that the computer does not come with a Bluetooth capability. (!!! They still make you?? !!!)

The HP tech agent who talked me through the process of learning that the computer didn't have Bluetooth, pointed me towards a USB Bluetooth dongle. I'm still peeved about the lack of Bluetooth. But I have 30 days to return the computer and if my mind doesn't change, I'll return the computer.