Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subject1-year update. Moving back to my hometown, got a mid-level dev gig.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=299073&mesg_id=302673
302673, 1-year update. Moving back to my hometown, got a mid-level dev gig.
Posted by Wonderl33t, Tue Aug-22-17 01:50 PM
My lady (now fiance!) finished her PA program at azure demon university, so the move was planned. The job move was actually not planned, as my current employer was going to let me work remotely after moving back to California. But a job popped up on indeed that was too good to not apply to -- significant raise over my current wage, and more interesting work (they do mostly desktop software, which is something I always wished for but is hard to find). And it's in the energy industry which is what I quit to pursue development, so I am happy to get back in the industry as a software developer. It's tough to give up the full remote aspect, but the increased pay and more interesting job tasks will be worth it, I'm pretty sure.

For the new job, I didn't have the requisite experience on paper, but the video interview went well, and I was able to demo a pretty feature-packed game level editor that I had made in Winforms (lol at winforms, yes. It was my first legit desktop project). And I believe it helped that I had a few years of energy industry experience, so I think my lack of dev experience was overcome by that and demonstrating my skills in the interview.

It's also interesting that the bootcamp world has experienced quite a shakeup recently. Iron Yard and Dev Bootcamp, which were two of the biggest, if not the biggest, have gone under. I think the one that I attended is poised to take a lot of that market that was just vacated (I'd rather not post the name here so it doesn't show up on web searches, but feel free to inbox). And actually, of my core group of friends that I keep in touch with from the course, three of them were hired by the bootcamp as instructors. And they're being paid a fair amount more than I made at this current job. Anyhow. That's the update. Onward and upward.