Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectYeah. Same boat as you and Chief, more or less.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=298857&mesg_id=300334
300334, Yeah. Same boat as you and Chief, more or less.
Posted by Wonderl33t, Tue Aug-09-16 07:34 AM
I actually haven't gotten bumped down from Super Silver since making it to 3k, but I'm sure it will happen eventually. Although I am really enjoying playing higher-ranked folks because my bad habits are getting exposed and I'm having to adapt, which I enjoy. Two glaring examples were that I jumped in too much (which worked against silver and bronze, but not against higher ranks) and my fireball game was actually pretty weak in a fireball war. I've since had a couple of fireball wars with Ryus and won -- which I should, because of Guile's v-skill. So my bad habits weren't round-losers like wakeup flashkick or too many sweeps, but they were things that can turn the tide of a match.

Also, meaties. Goddamn meaties. It's such a noticeable difference playing a higher ranked vs lower ranked player. The higher ranked guys get good meaty pressure consistently, and with the lower ranked opponents, it's not something you have to deal with much. And that is one more bad habit of mine -- I go for the st.hp meaty way too often. I should be doing st.mp into cr.mp most of the time because of its frame advantage. The st.hp meaty is light-punishable on block if not properly timed, and st.mp is always safe on block.

I think I can hit gold if I polish up some of these things. And no doubt you guys could, too.

>hit Ultra Silver last week and was damn excited, because for
>a couple matches I was less than 300 points from the coveted
>golden title! ended up getting matched up against Golds from
>that point on, which is fine (and how you get better), but I
>got knocked back down to regular/Super Silver pretty quick.
>
>a lot of Birdies in low Gold rank. Ibuki is killing me right
>now because I don't know which strings I can interrupt (and
>that cross-up is stupid). Balrog is tough for Ken too.