Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectI think you're generalizing a bit here...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=298857&mesg_id=298985
298985, I think you're generalizing a bit here...
Posted by spenzalii, Tue Feb-23-16 11:30 PM

>it's probably bad business to release a skimpy package for
>people who don't really care about fighting games, but for
>those of us who do EVERYBODY wants this game now. and we got
>it now. i'll gladly wait for March for all that other shit.

I've been a SF fan since it was on and popping at the arcades, and spent untold thousands in quarters getting my game on. At some point we collected every EGM magazine with any SF coverage. I got the collectors version of IV and just missed the version for V at Gamestop. I've helped run tourneys, helped beta test fightstick parts. Hell, I built and shipped a custom stick to the Philippines. So I do care about Street Fighter on a whole lot of levels and will genuinely enjoy and support SFV.

That all being said, what was released was not finished, point blank. Yes, I'm going to continue to play as they add on gameplay modes and options, but that doesn't change my opinion (and that of many others) that it would have been a better release if they waited until those modes were ready to go. Say what you want about an arcade mode, but a lot of people (myself included) enjoy fighting the CPU as well as a human combatant. On At least when the servers take a dump, as they have on and off since the release, you actually have something to play. the online side, no multi-person lounges makes absolutely no sense. A game like, say, Skullgirls, you could almost accept the 'add modes and stuffs as you go', because it was a small development staff, crowd funded, and didn't cost much ($20 at release? I'll have to double check). Not Street Fighter, not from Capcom, and not for $60. If one of the ideas was to bring the casual gamer in with SF V, the launch and rollout seemed counter-intuitive.

At the end of the day, it probably won't matter once all is said and done. Fans are going to suffer through the growing pains and play now, and when the remaining modes are added and the serves get on some ak'rite, even more people will come in. Capcom, MadCatz, Udon, Sanwa, Seimitsu, et al, will all make money off this game, as the fight game industry as a whole makes money whenever a new version of SF drops. Still won't change the fact that Capcom could have released a more complete game had they waited. Whether market forces or eSports/FGC tourneys drove that decision is up for debate.