Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectApple Music. Yay or nay?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=296440
296440, Apple Music. Yay or nay?
Posted by muzuabo, Tue Jun-30-15 10:14 PM
Beats 1 is actually pretty dope. Smart of Apple to offer the three month trial. So far it is what really distinguishes Apple Music from spotify. I was ready to poo poo it but I'm digging it. Spotify is getting a run for its money. Well see about connect.
296441, I might cancel Spotify after the trial is up.
Posted by IkeMoses, Tue Jun-30-15 10:33 PM
I might not.

They've got the same exact streaming library as far as I can tell.

But Apple Music has my personal library and downloads integrated into it.

I can go either way.
296442, I wish there was a way to get mixtapes incorporated.
Posted by muzuabo, Tue Jun-30-15 10:42 PM
I have Nigerian Gangster but that won't play from Apple Music. Shame really. But I'm seriously contemplating switching from Spotify. I'm truly surprised that I like Beats 1. I didn't think I would. Curious to see if we'll be bombarded with ads on once the trial ends. Hopefully not if you are paying a $10/mth premium for the service.

Some tunes aren't available like Chance's Surf album. I'm sure there are examples like the Chronic that aren't available on Spotify. Shiite I can't turn off Beats 1 radio. Good of mix of hip hop, rock, R&B and whatever. So far its suiting my tastes which tend to be all over the map.
296443, Surf is on there
Posted by s t a r s k y, Wed Jul-01-15 05:14 AM
Search for Donnie Trumpet.

(屮゚Д゚ )屮
296464, that's what's always kept me from using Spotify.
Posted by Nodima, Wed Jul-01-15 08:27 PM
my iTunes has all my illegally acquired albums and legally acquired mixtapes in one place. Spotify also has random holes in an artists' catalog, and randomly DO have mixtapes on there like Freddie Gibbs' Midwest... for no apparent reason.

I haven't messed with Beats 1 or the streaming in general but it all looks good and well run to me so far. Rembert Browne and Julit Litman also made the Beats 1 programming sound pretty interesting and makes me a little bummed I've been watching TV and listening to podcasts all day.

I still don't think I'll subscribe though, I spend most of my time listening to podcasts these days rather than music (I literally haven't listened to a full album in about a month) so without a partnership with Livemixtapes or something to encompass all of music, it's just too fractured for me.

It's also information deficient. I'm still really surprised iTunes (and now Apple Music) haven't figured out a way to get information like producers, samples used, songwriters etc. faced forward more. I can get the producer and sample information myself and add it to the track's metadata in iTunes but I think if I'm looking at /streaming a song on Apple Music I should be able to just flip the artwork over and see who produced it.

~~~~~~~~~
"This is the streets, and I am the trap." � Jay Bilas
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/archive/contributor/517
Hip Hop Handbook: http://tinyurl.com/ll4kzz
296482, CD skip noise...
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Thu Jul-02-15 06:06 PM
> (I literally haven't listened to a full album in about a month)

What the what??!
296446, Yay. But y'all know me.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Jul-01-15 07:36 AM
RDF.
296453, There is a ton of content on here.
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Jul-01-15 10:24 AM
And seems pretty easy to access. They've managed to blend various apps and keep it fairly easy to use.
296459, It's great but we've sen most of this already.
Posted by jetblack, Wed Jul-01-15 01:00 PM
In Spotify and other services. I'm down for the free preview and I might just jump in after the trial.
296449, Loving it so far
Posted by Lach, Wed Jul-01-15 10:10 AM
296450, I like it!
Posted by chillinCHiEF, Wed Jul-01-15 10:12 AM
Spotify is on PS4 tho so there's no way I'd switch. I need my 90s hip-hop playing while in Street Fightering.
296456, that is a real factor to consider, tho
Posted by IkeMoses, Wed Jul-01-15 11:53 AM
296460, That's what's keeping me on Spotify too
Posted by mrshow, Wed Jul-01-15 01:45 PM
296454, Curation is gonna be the big differentiator
Posted by wallysmith, Wed Jul-01-15 10:28 AM
Spotify radio is trash

I'm still a Soundcloud junkie myself though

But this is Apple's way of breaking into the Android ecosystem... and I honestly think it's going to do really well
296455, Since we're talking about streaming services
Posted by obsidianchrysalis, Wed Jul-01-15 10:59 AM
Do you think Spotify would benefit from acquiring Pandora?
296465, as I said above ANY of them would benefit from partnering with Livemixtapes
Posted by Nodima, Wed Jul-01-15 08:29 PM
I use them because they're way preferable in terms of presentation to Datpiff, but Datpiff does streaming too so it doesn't necessarily matter which of the two they choose. They just need to figure out what the legality is, which I suppose these guys already have figured out on their end, and finally end the shitty situation that ultimately makes Youtube the preferred streaming destination at house parties: lack of most modern rappers' best music.

~~~~~~~~~
296457, I'm pleasantly surprised thus far
Posted by L_O_Quent, Wed Jul-01-15 12:52 PM
the only issue I have with it is it's a little confusing to get to the actual streaming service part of it and I have playlists I've had since '08 on Spotify so not so sure on that front. On the other hand the pricing is the exact same and the family plan may be better since the wifey and I have it.
296463, yeah finding the streaming service needs to be cleaned up
Posted by Lach, Wed Jul-01-15 05:32 PM
That was the first thing I noticed too when bouncing back and forth from my own music.
296466, same on the computer as well
Posted by L_O_Quent, Thu Jul-02-15 01:20 AM
they need to make it more obvious and Connect looks like trash
296458, t swift but no prince? he's such a cunt
Posted by drugs, Wed Jul-01-15 12:56 PM
they got zappas entire discog though.
296461, Prince was on Beats
Posted by handle, Wed Jul-01-15 02:00 PM
Not sure why he didn't switch over??
296462, Perhaps he will get added later?
Posted by muzuabo, Wed Jul-01-15 02:27 PM
It's funny because beats still exists.
296939, Prince is now on apple music
Posted by Paps_Smear, Wed Aug-05-15 10:39 PM
Not sure when it happened but I checked today and there it is.
296947, And now its off
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu Aug-06-15 11:13 AM
I SWEAR this shit was on here yesterday. I know for a fact because I streamed it to make sure I wasn't tripping yesterday. Had all the albums up too.

Why does apple keep toying with us like this!
296492, mad that I turned on that iCloud library tho. My music got jacked up
Posted by Lach, Fri Jul-03-15 02:36 PM
Trying to weed through this mess now. lawd.
296537, It jacked mine up too, I think it fixed itself though
Posted by Paps_Smear, Tue Jul-07-15 07:50 AM
What I did is go into my itunes preference and turned icloud off, then turned it back on again and it went through the whole uploading phase again.

Once it was completed everything is exactly how I had it before, and across all my devices. Worked like a charm. Not sure if it was just me or not but so far I'm happy.
296791, yeah I went and did that and got mine back right again
Posted by Lach, Wed Jul-22-15 11:20 AM
Had me worried for a minute
296493, Anybody tuning into Q Tip's radio show tonight at 10PM
Posted by muzuabo, Fri Jul-03-15 04:20 PM
I'm excited for this show. When I was living in NY I never got to hear any of his DJ sets. I feel like this will be the closest I'll get for a while.
296494, So far so good
Posted by VonClay, Fri Jul-03-15 10:34 PM
I'm tuned into Tip's Abstract Radio right now. Caught most of Run The Jewels radio.

Can you save songs being played on Beats 1 to My Music? It gives you the option but the music I tried to save is not showing up.
296495, Sometimes the option to save didn't pop up.
Posted by muzuabo, Sat Jul-04-15 07:14 AM
In the rare occasion the song might not even be available on Apple Music. But if it is available and you can add it to my music just do a search on the song and add it from Apple Music's library. I did that with several songs since they tag the songs they play. Apple knows what they are doing. Music lovers will subscribe because they will want to add songs they've heard in the radio. I'm curious to see what Dr. Dre comes up with this afternoon.
296504, i love how you can see a dj's past show by airdate
Posted by drugs, Sat Jul-04-15 07:11 PM
all their past playlists are available!
296505, yea I just wish it was the actual show.
Posted by Nodima, Sat Jul-04-15 08:54 PM
loses a lot of the flavor when it's just the set of songs and not mixed or shouted over.

~~~~~~~~~
296506, true
Posted by drugs, Sat Jul-04-15 09:22 PM
296521, nay
Posted by Ahadi, Mon Jul-06-15 07:39 AM
296534, ^^ Logged in Apple Music is so bad.
Posted by Ted Gee Seal, Mon Jul-06-15 10:30 PM
296595, the Siri intergration is everything to me.
Posted by jetblack, Mon Jul-13-15 10:45 AM
Google Music should have this.
296610, I ended up canceling Spotify Premium
Posted by IkeMoses, Wed Jul-15-15 03:26 PM
Not because Apple Music is better. They're practically the same to me.

But I had to get a new debit card, and it was easier to just cancel than update my payment info.

RIP
296767, RE: Apple Music. Yay or nay?
Posted by heiseman, Mon Jul-20-15 09:12 AM
I prefer Apple Music to Spotify. Although if your into playing music offline, it's not the easiest to figure out.
296775, ... - > make available offline.
Posted by jetblack, Mon Jul-20-15 02:21 PM
296778, I just cancelled my spotify premium.
Posted by muzuabo, Tue Jul-21-15 06:34 AM
Patiently waiting of the pacemaker app to add apple music integration.
296790, man nah
Posted by jdub1313, Wed Jul-22-15 11:03 AM
i made a garage band track last night and wanted to listen it in the whip for my morning commute.

went to sync ONE TRACK to my iphone after sharing it to Itunes from Garage Band and not only did I lose my gym playlist but my track never synched to my iphone. changed the settings in Preferences to not show Apple Music, changed a few other settings back and forth on my phone and on my mac, no bueno.

motherfuck Apple Music and iTunes. after reading up on this issue on the web i'm gonna have to delete all my tunes and resync anyway even though i've never used iCloud Music Library and don't have any thing saved in the cloud anyway.

Heading over to GooglePlay music this weekend.

I will say thanks to Apple for intro-ing me to Major Lazer, they got some jams, lol.
296799, you'll miss Abstract Radio!
Posted by drugs, Thu Jul-23-15 10:38 AM
296853, i stand corrected
Posted by jdub1313, Tue Jul-28-15 05:15 AM
think i figured it out without having to delete my all of my music and start over.

i like the convenience. that's about it. never had spotify and only used the free tier of pandora sparingly.

but i grabbed a couple albums over the weekend, including the new Jilly and I got them all on my phone for off line too. that was easier than downloading a .rar and extracting.

my wife will want to get on this too, so the family plan looks like a win.

296800, I think it's confusing as hell (Coming from Beats)
Posted by handle, Thu Jul-23-15 12:11 PM
I think they need to keep the OLD Music player app for your iTunes library syncing and leave it completely out of the streaming music application.

Have the streaming app have an option to EXAMINE (not modify) your iTunes library and do a single import. Also have it able to EXAMINE your iTunes account purchase history.

Apple Music needs to be separate from your iTunes library at all costs.

Next they need to change the interface to have sidebar navigation and not rely on 5 single icons to expose the giant amount of functionality in long scrolling views and very non-intuitive "..." popup sheets.

And let me customize the menus to put what I want to do front and center. (Or at least somewhere easier to get to.)

Third, they need to make all the live radio shows into Podcasts-like recordings instead of giving us just the Playlists. Keep the shows archived for 6 months or a year or forever so we can revisit them at any time. And keep the playlists too as a backup.

They need to add an easy button for "Offline mode" where I can make sure its not using ANY data on relying on any network coverage.

And they need a better search of the music catalog to allow me to search by keyword AND genre and sort by release date. Basic easy search/filtering and sorting would make music much more discover-able.

I think I won't renew Apple Music, and when they shut down beats I'll go back strictly to iTunes syncing, and possibly get another music application like Ecoute or Muzik.

Also I'll probably unsubscribe to Music Match, I can store it in Google Music or Amazon for free. The first year was worth it for the ability to download higher quality versions.

Might look at Rdio again too. once Beats is gone.
296834, Now you can listen to radio show, not just playlist
Posted by Paps_Smear, Mon Jul-27-15 07:24 AM
Not sure when this happened but the way I found out is I followed Abstract Radio on iTunes. Under the Connect tab where the artist you follow shows up you just click on the show and listen to it, DJ and all.

Also if you type in the name of the show and search for it, click on the show, and then hit the Connect tab.
296839, I'll just let the trial expire...
Posted by L_O_Quent, Mon Jul-27-15 10:07 AM
keep forgetting to use and am 7 years deep into Spotify so I don't see what it really offers.
296863, I haven't missed spotify since I've been listening to Apple Music
Posted by muzuabo, Tue Jul-28-15 06:16 PM
I was skeptical about Apple Music but I've been pleased with the service so far. I'm pretty impressed by the recommendations made for me by the For You section. And Q-tip has been on fire as a DJ on Beats 1.
296941, the primary thing I've forgotten is whether
Posted by Nodima, Thu Aug-06-15 12:33 AM
I can listen to Beats 1 without a subscription. It's been my primary go-to-sleep soundtrack for a while now, primarily because it's Adenuga DJing 9 x's out of 10 by the time I'm ready for sleep (and even if I'm not, I might turn it on just to tune in) and if they'd only cancel The Fat Jewish's station it'd be just about perfect (Zane Lowe is a little too breathless as a host but I can enjoy the novelty in short bursts).

If I can keep the radio, I don't really use any other features of the service (and am not quite clear what they even are anymore) so I would gladly let the trial expire. But the loss of Beats 1 would truly feel like a loss, and I haven't even gotten to experience most of the other stuff like Ebro's show, WRTJ, St. Vincent's Mixtape Delivery Service, etc.

I heard the Vampire Weekend guy's show and it was all about mid-2000s British music which was sort of annoying because they kept using the term "Thamesbeat" but also oddly nostalgic, I'm not sure I get Q-Tip's hype as a DJ but I only heard one show that sounded pretty typical (and gave me renewed confidence in my old Use a Mouse and Keyboard to DJ via Traktor recordings from five years ago) and it was one of those after-the-fact "songs" that's really a playlist (these things can be VERY hard to find by the way).

I believe in Beats 1 and enjoy the curiosity of most of it. If it's not included in the subscription, I think I'm good letting it lapse.

~~~~~~~~~
296943, It's funny how opinions can differ because Tip has the best show hands down.
Posted by muzuabo, Thu Aug-06-15 06:41 AM
296944, I agree
Posted by Paps_Smear, Thu Aug-06-15 07:59 AM
The last show he did, the "bars" show.

Man, I've listened to it non stop since last week. This show would be one of my soul reason for keeping the service.
296945, The Bars show was crazy.
Posted by muzuabo, Thu Aug-06-15 10:21 AM
I love how each show is an education. Apple gave him 2 shows last weekend which I think is a testament to his importance and popularity on Beats 1 radio. I like his show and Josh Homme's show as well. Elton John puts on a good show as well for that matter.

And the app is getting to know my tastes in music much better as time progresses. I love samples so I'm digging the samples playlists it recommends for me.
296955, i agree with all of this
Posted by drugs, Fri Aug-07-15 09:25 AM
you're a gentlemen and a scholar.
296957, Unpopular opinion: I don't like the live Q-Tip show
Posted by handle, Fri Aug-07-15 11:47 AM
His selection of music is on point.

But the yelling ala Red Alert / end of Pubic Enemy is annoying.

The repeating of double verse/lines/words is annoying.

The effects he puts on the music-- ala the beginning of an French House song-- is annoying.

Love the dude - his tastes and his music. But less of Tip and those effects would be more , for me.

And remember you can hear the live episodes repeated now:
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/04/beats-1-replay-features-missed-shows/

Though a feature that's likely going to be welcome by many Beats 1 listeners, Replay is somewhat hidden. Re-recordings of shows can be accessed by tapping on the Beats 1 logo in Apple Music to open the list of featured shows, tapping on a DJ, and going to the "Connect" page. Alternatively, it's also possible to search for an individual DJ to access their Connect section, or to search directly with a term like "Julie Adenuga Replay."
296959, that's where I'm at.
Posted by Nodima, Fri Aug-07-15 01:17 PM
and the one show I listened to in full was just hot new hip-hop songs plus some old shit from his friends. it didn't have much of a flow, especially with Tip constantly interjecting.

~~~~~~~~~