Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectRE: this game is pretty good. i miss the shield
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=295078&mesg_id=299200
299200, RE: this game is pretty good. i miss the shield
Posted by bearfield, Mon Mar-14-16 02:00 PM
>Well, it's more that the Cane is explicitly a "finesse" weapon
>that demands a lot of spatial awareness in terms of how you
>string together attacks. And in the early game the Saw-weapons
>make things a bit easier because they all do bonus damage to
>beast-type enemies (which most early bosses are).

got it. the threaded cane works for my early play style. i haven't really delved too deep into damage and resistance types yet

>I'm not sure what you mean by "placing a limit on the number
>of parries", but I guess I look at it as not being much
>different from how weapons in Souls games have various
>poise-break values. And I think DS2 experimented (for better
>or worse) a lot with how various things could parry (like
>Parrying Dagger vs. Target Shield vs. Monastery Scimitar were
>all really different).

what i meant was that you can run out of bullets in critical situations and not only lose the ability to parry but get hit because of the "hey i thought i had bullets..." animation. it's happened to me a couple of times, nearly killing me once and definitely killing me the other times. that's just another adjustment i need to make. it's not particularly frustrating or run-breaking

placing a limit a key ability, irrespective of how high that limit is with blood sacrifice (or whatever it's called) and bullet drops, is a good strategic mechanic because it makes you choose your spots and not blindly mash L2. but i think it's kind of BS because i'm used to having infinite parry attempts with the dark souls shield. it's difficult to learn parry timings for bosses when you only have 10 or so bullets and maybe 15-20 parry attempts per engagement depending on how liberal you are with the bullet making ability. maybe as i get deeper into bloodborne the bullet limit is basically non-existent due to the way ammo drops but in the early goings not being able to parry is pretty debilitating