Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectRE: definitely yes, but possibly not.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=293403&mesg_id=293562
293562, RE: definitely yes, but possibly not.
Posted by bearfield, Sat Nov-22-14 03:45 AM
>my issues with PCs are
>
>A) I already have two iMacs and a Macbook in the house
>
>B) The five years I had a PC (granted, a Gateway PC with
>Windows ME and later XP installed) were a nightmare of bugs
>and sluggishness and unattractive UI I eventually just modded
>to copy OS X

you had an old and bad pc. that experience shouldn't dictate how you feel about modern PC's, as modern PC gaming is light years ahead of where it was a few years ago, but i understand how it could put you off

>C) A friend of mine has Far Cry 4 and ran into an issue where
>if he played with a gamepad the scripting would constantly
>crash and lock him in a Jeep at the start of the tutorial that
>he couldn't get out of or be killed in. He was told to either
>alt+tab for 5-10 minutes or play with a mouse and keyboard for
>the first hour and a half then he could use his 360
>controller. Random shit like that is just way more
>frequent/possible with a PC where the hardware is variable and
>I don't want to deal with it.

sometimes this happens. maybe more often than with consoles (see: launch day issues) but not as often as you might think. the flipside is that the issues on PC are generally patched much faster and more often than on consoles since they don't need to go through MS or sony's verification process

>I do get jealous when I see stuff like all the mods for GTA IV
>or how different something like Far Cry 3 runs on PC vs.
>console, but I also take comfort in knowing any game that
>comes out for the next ten years will work as well as it
>possibly could on my PS4 without any monkeying around or extra
>spending on parts from me.

this is the best part of owning a console. as much as like being able to micro-manage my way to the best looking game possible by editing .ini files, i do sometimes yearn for a more straightforward and easier gaming experience

but then i boot up heavily modded skyrim and wonder why i wasted all those hours on the vastly inferior console version. or i run pcsx2 and play a version of final fantasy xii that looks so good and runs so well that it could have been released on ps3. or i delve into a MOBA or m/kb strategy game. or i poke around the steam store and find an indie gem of a game that didn't make it to consoles. or i buy a superior PC port of a console game i missed out on for $5 during a sale

PC gaming requires some extra work but the reward is easily worth the effort imo