Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectMassive disruptability.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=293239&mesg_id=299869
299869, Massive disruptability.
Posted by wallysmith, Fri Jun-10-16 01:02 PM
His primary roles are as a flanker, point breaker and backline assassin.

Some caveats: I never choose him if I'm the only tank on the team and I still might not pick him if we don't have a dedicated healer. But when the team comp fits him well, Winston is BEAST (no pun intended).

Compared to the other tanks, he's actually really squishy. No natural healing, he can be hit inside his dome and shotgun users (and McCree) melt him like no other... not good when he has no ranged weapons and his primary has super short range.

So why use him? Because his leap can clear the most ground (and height) in the shortest amount of time, his shield can absorb a ton of damage (or lasts a solid 6s) and his Ult might be the single best action to break an entrenched enemy position.

It's a different playstyle, but some tips on how to play him:

- Get in, get out. On, say, King of the Hill maps, leap in, drop your shield before you're about to land, wreak havoc, then leap out before you die. Obviously focus their backline squishies first. He's great to lead a coordinated attack because they MUST focus fire you; if not, your Tesla cannon will melt fools (IT GOES THROUGH REINHARDT'S SHIELD!!!). Your leap has a fairly short 6s cooldown; that's just enough time to break their formation then GTFO.

- Your dome can be used on offense and defense. Watch your dome barriers: if they're on the same side as you (even inside) then you can get hit. However, your Tesla cannon can go through it... work those edges. Your teammates' fire can also go through it, much like Reinhardt's shield. This is useful when accompanying the payload. Two Winstons (when there's no 1-hero-limit) are a must for payload maps in tournament play, because it's extremely difficult to break coordinated Winstons. The shield can withstand (I think) 600 damage, but there's a long cooldown.

- You're not playing Winston for POTG or a high kill count. Like Tracer, if you're harassing their heroes trickling in from spawn or pushing snipers off perches then you're doing your job. Do NOT chase if it doesn't make sense, especially against certain heroes. Shotgunners like Reaper and Roadhog WILL fuck you up. And if they're really good, then I would definitely consider switching away from Winston. A good Bastion is also murderous if you're not careful.

- When you ult, you heal in full AND get 500 more hp, for a total of 1000. So you leap in (500hp), shield (600hp), then when you're about to die you ult (1000hp). That gives you almost 2100hp of damage to soak. THIS is when you feel like a tank. Remember though, your job is to break formation, kill supports/snipers if possible then get the fuck out. Your hits have huge knockback, so if they're not in a corner it's often not worth chasing random heroes. And like always, it's better to leap away than die. Also, you cannot use your shield in its duration, so if you can, drop your shield before your ult. However, your leap auto resets when you proc your ult (with only a 2s cooldown!) then it's always active once your ult finishes. Don't ult if your team isn't attacking with you though; a single Winston will still get murked quickly.

Hope this helps... every single time the team comp favors it, I will always pick Winston. He's got such an entertaining playstyle and it's always hilarious watching people scatter when you leap in. Definitely takes practice though.