Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectlol DAMN YOU
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=293239&mesg_id=293288
293288, lol DAMN YOU
Posted by wallysmith, Mon Nov-10-14 04:13 PM
Let's be honest now... equal skill, kb/m destroys controller. Some games could mitigate the difference, like Battlefield if you don't play sniper. But in a game like COD there's no question.

I'm actually pretty optimistic for this game on consoles though. TF2 on console failed in part because the patch process is so wonky ($30k to put out a patch on 360? Yeah fuck that). But since both consoles have mature online systems this means that devs can closer emulate the PC model. And shooters are king on consoles... there's no way Blizzard ignores that revenue stream.

As far as the game? Holy shit. Blizzard has never been genre innovators, all they do is take the genre and put a shit ton of polish on it. Hearthstone is a guilty pleasure of mine and is an unequivocal hit (shit, ESPN was televising a tourney the other day). I can't wait till it hits Android tablets.

And seeing how they handled F2P in Hearthstone leads me to believe they'll get it right for Overwatch. Not sure *how* though. There's a chance they'll go the purely cosmetic 'hats' route like TF2, but they would need a critical mass of players to trust earning a profit. Super Monday Night Combat had an interesting business model that rotated certain heroes for free each week. To use them permanently, you could buy them with in-game currency or with real money. Overwatch is also similar to Super MNC in game structure, so there's that. If Overwatch ends up having a roster similar to other MOBA's then this model could be entirely viable.