Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectThere's a tangible demographic divide between pack-ins...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=290216&mesg_id=290323
290323, There's a tangible demographic divide between pack-ins...
Posted by wallysmith, Wed May-21-14 11:24 AM
and optional peripherals though. History has shown us this time and time again. Developers are more willing to risk new IP's for a stable platform but when that's not there, the supply drops. Just look at the recent Rare layoffs and their "studio methodology" shift. Even when the kinect was a mandatory peripheral, there was a weak library. Once the dance "craze" wears itself out, what's next? Adding voice commands to established franchises isn't enough of a draw to propel sales for an expensive peripheral. And being able to control your living room through voice is great, but for the average consumer (who's never experienced it) is it really worth the extra bill if there are no compelling games for it?

To me, the biggest mistake Microsoft made with it is that not enough of a push was made for compelling Kinect games at launch. I haven't been paying attention to Kinect titles but are there any compelling titles in the pipeline? I mean, I'm not denying that there's still a massive userbase with kinect but going forward if a developer knows that (sooner or later) there will be more users without Kinect than with it, why should they devote resources to develop for the minority?