Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectTrails Fusion - you all can bow to me now
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=290015
290015, Trails Fusion - you all can bow to me now
Posted by L_O_Quent, Thu Apr-17-14 11:48 PM
I didn't even know this game was coming out but it has all of the same Trials-isms you'd expect with better looking maps. I expect the usual suspects to look up at my name at the top of the leaderboard and feel overwhelmed by the greatness.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/16/trials-fusion-review
290018, pssssh, you don't want any part of my name on your XB1 leaderboard
Posted by celery77, Fri Apr-18-14 08:58 AM
(what system you got it on? I live to beat ghosts in Trials...)

I'm at about 105 medals right now, just polishing up the "HARD" difficulty tier, with a thing an extreme tier in front of me? There's one tier left. Got a Panda time in the Top 150 global leaderboard, but that was the evening of day one, so pretty good chance that's been bumped down. Got a couple other times into the triple digit global times, but the only other guy on my leaderboards right now is never even near my first run times.

and I have to say I LOVE not having platinum medals, having the challenges instead. Gives each track a lot more replayability than just having to chase a nearly impossible perfect run.
290026, aww hell no, platinums are back...
Posted by celery77, Sat Apr-19-14 01:29 PM
>and I have to say I LOVE not having platinum medals, having
>the challenges instead. Gives each track a lot more
>replayability than just having to chase a nearly impossible
>perfect run.

I hate those medals. The challenges are so much better...
290040, I'm hood I'm on a 360 still
Posted by L_O_Quent, Tue Apr-22-14 09:19 AM
dude you should just bow to me now.
290049, jesus christ the Extreme tracks suck; they're not fun, they're not fair
Posted by celery77, Tue Apr-22-14 09:09 PM
yeah, I've seen your "Trials Ninja" videos on youtube. Hooray for those guys. For the rest of us, yeah, some of it is possible, some of it can be done repeatedly, but stringing together multiple perfect bounces and then capping it off with a sheer, vertical block at the top -- just dumb, not fun. Slightest loss of balance = crash. Mistimed acceleration = crash. Depending on the bounce = success or crash. It's just the worst. God have pity on those poor souls who actually find those bullshit tracks fun.
290052, ^^^ Weekend warrior ^^^
Posted by L_O_Quent, Wed Apr-23-14 04:00 AM
You ain't about #thatlife
290065, damn $40 price tag tho?
Posted by Playa_Politician, Thu Apr-24-14 08:23 PM
290066, where is it $40? It's $19.99 for the game, $19.99 for season pass
Posted by celery77, Thu Apr-24-14 08:31 PM
(yeah I copped both, I love Trials)
290067, really? i googled it and all the prices say $39.99
Posted by Playa_Politician, Thu Apr-24-14 10:46 PM
for $20 i'm game. loved the first game.

havent turned on my PS4 in a month or so.
290075, yeah it's only $20 if you buy the download version
Posted by Lach, Fri Apr-25-14 11:19 AM
The disc version comes packed with the $20 season pass which is why it's $40.
294146, I just copped the digital version
Posted by nipsey, Tue Dec-30-14 11:06 AM
It was on sale for $20 and included the season pass. I like it so far. I definitely need to get my skills up as I am struggling on the "Hard" tracks. I wish they gave you more details about each bike's specs. It's hard for me to tell which bike is the best option for which track.
294150, whatever the last bike you unlock is called is always the best bike
Posted by celery77, Tue Dec-30-14 12:33 PM
it's like the Mercury or something? The one that has the sorta weird frame, is described as the "skill" bike, has the most spring and quickest handling. There's a *few* tracks where I post fast times without that bike, just because there's less risk of a scrub on the other bikes, but basically all high skill maneuvers need to be completed with the pro bike.

And there's tons of weird stuff you can do to shave time, by properly working your bounces and momentum or there's often sections of track that are only accessible via the high skill bike. But yeah, basically you need to get good at bunny-hopping and hill-climbing with the pro bike, figure out all the weird ways you can do crazy maneuvers without actually falling off. Once I unlock that bike, I'll go back and run earlier tracks with it just to see what I might have missed running it with the crappier one earlier.
294152, I beat all the regular to hard tracks with gold and no faults/crashes
Posted by Playa_Politician, Tue Dec-30-14 01:09 PM
only a few really gave me any trouble, but I gave up hope on getting gold on the extreme tracks, hell i'm happy to get bronze on most of them
294154, yeah, it can take a few tries to get Gold on the Hard tracks
Posted by celery77, Tue Dec-30-14 03:03 PM
but if you just sit down and play them over and over, you learn the sticking points and eventually you pull out a clean run. There's usually a tricky spot or two where in order to get through one section, you have to set it up in a section prior, like making sure you land on a certain down slope in order to have the speed to make a big jump after, or hitting a rhythm section just right so that you have the speed to clear all gaps. Occasionally it pays to come to a complete stop, totally reset your momentum, before clearing a gap or hurdle (on Extreme this is a much more useful skill). Eventually you just learn the rhythm -- gas here, lean here, sometimes a brake, make sure rear tire makes contact with this surface here, etc.

And yeah, once you're on Hard everything except for the Advanced bike is generally not good enough to clear the course.

And sometimes the Skill Challenges can be a great way to learn when you're new, in particular the hill climb ones, because those really force you to learn how to lean and gas in order to get past sticky parts, and as you do it over and over you can start to recognize the patterns.