Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectI wish I had known you guys were talking about this here...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=289638&mesg_id=289974
289974, I wish I had known you guys were talking about this here...
Posted by sfMatt, Mon Apr-14-14 04:39 PM
Re: original post: no, not for me. Frankly I don't think I've seen a single "newspaper" site that I would give such a crown to.

I'm a huge Vox fanboy... which started for me as soon as the SBNation United project went live. I think Vox understands web publishing on a whole different level from almost everybody else right now. I'd love to get my hands on their Chorus CMS, and see how all of the workflow is set up, because it sounds friggin awesome.

I think, particularly in the responsive realm, sites like NYT are still showing a bit of their "age" (which I realize is a silly thing to say since the latest design is quite recent.) When I get at NYT on a touchscreen device, there are some truly maddening things about the UX. I can't tell you how many times I've "swiped" to next/previous article without actually having any desire to do that.

And NYT is still struggling with understanding large modern displays. What was immediately impressive about the SBNation roll-out was the degree to which layouts weren't fluid, and yet the typography and particularly imagery never came across as "small" no matter what type of resolution you were viewing it from. I think this is certainly evident on other Vox properties mentioned here such as The Verge, Polygon, and Vox.com