Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjecti try really hard not to play the generation card
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=284649&mesg_id=302044
302044, i try really hard not to play the generation card
Posted by rob, Wed Mar-29-17 09:03 PM
but there's been a clear difference in people born late 90s/early 00s and people born in the past 10 years.

memorization and patience have always been hard sells for children. but i get kids that have no idea wtf i'm talking about. not even "i don't want to learn things" or "waiting is hard" but "what do you mean i should just know things from practicing?" and "i have never had to wait more than a minute ever."

and their bubbles are huge. they really need a lot of help learning how to deal with other people.

i get a lot of 10 year olds in my class that feel like they've got pre-school habits. and it's not their fault. they get a lot better with help and training, but that takes a lot of time i'd be hoping to use to work on other skills.

it kills me because we're already wired for instant gratification and suck at reflection and long term planning. its a big flaw in our species, and you see how it played out with the boomer generation that's currently in control.

what's this going to look like in 50 years?