Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectThere's an issue where a woman character can't act independently of men.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=284509&mesg_id=285919
285919, There's an issue where a woman character can't act independently of men.
Posted by PlanetInfinite, Wed Sep-18-13 12:37 PM
Kate: Played the girlfriend of the main character and really...she was simply used as somebody to die when it came to you making your final two choices. If she was taken out of the game, it would be easy to replace her. She was more set dressing than anything.

CJ's sister: I agree here. Although most of her motivation and storyline revolved around and was directly impacted by another man she was written really well. She played the perfect foil to CJ. Almost kinda playing the audience member that doesn't play GTA at all. She was good.

Aside from that, you don't see a lot of female characters in games (or TV or film) that have motivations and motives that don't involve another man. I'm not saying that's wrong but it's one-sided. The two main characters I've played in GTAV are motivated by money but primarily the need to find a place in the world. Female characters seem to be motivated and directly controlled by the male counterpart's actions.

It's unfortunate because I'm pretty sure if they tried, GTA could pass the Bechdel test with ease.

i'm out.