Go back to previous topic
Forum nameHigh-Tech
Topic subjectCopped 24 hours ago. Impressions?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=11&topic_id=190872&mesg_id=197257
197257, Copped 24 hours ago. Impressions?
Posted by spenzalii, Thu Jul-16-09 11:44 PM
Well, coming off a Nextel, this phone is the shiznit. Using it for a day, you get an idea of what rocks, what sucks, and what may be able to get fixed.

What sucks? No storage card slot. 8gb might do it for most people, but give us the option, even if we have to open the battery door to get it. Battery life SUCKS. You will be charging this every 24 hours or less. Very limited support for video codecs, so all my .avi, .wmv, dvix, etc files can't be read. While it has a .pdf reader, you can't download links to a .pdf (or any file, really) from a website. No onscreen keyboard. No Flash, so no Hulu, etc. And strangely enough, for all the things this phone can do, making calls isn't one of it's strong points. Irony, thy name is Pre. The most irksome thing for me is the charge jack is on the right side, making it cumbersome to use while charging. If I have it plugged up in the car, it ALWAYS turns upside down as if the phone knows this jack should have been on the left. Maybe a panel of left handed people made that call.

What rocks? The feel of the phone really is slick. It just feels good in your hands, not too big, small, or heavy. It would be nice if the next one was made from aluminum, but that could drive up the price and I wonder how hot it would get (it already gets pretty warm charging). The screen is super sharp. While I prefer a landscape keyboard, this one does the trick, even with fat thumbs like I have. The interface is miles above WiMo 6.1 (being able to flick stuff away is really nice), and multitasking works very well. Being able to stream Pandora, carry on a SMS chat and keep a website up at the same time and not lose anything when a call comes in really is impressive. And the Simply Data plan may be the best thing going

I'm pretty sure a lot of software things, like the video player, attachment support, onscreen keyboard, etc, can be taken care of between OTA updates and 3rd party apps once they get rolling. Being 1st gen and software, you can tell there were some things that could have / should have been added given the time. It may not be for everyone, and it's not an iPhone killer, but it doesn't need to be and never was intended to be. For my money, it's the best phone for me, and I"m glad I didn't get that Touch Pro (my next choice).

More to come as the days go on. NOt to charge this thing...